This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

where can I find the alarm schedule (for backup / restore)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
rogerspaceman
Registered Member
Hi,

Where can I find the files for restoring the alarm schedule ? (display alarm schedule)

I've looked in .kde & ,kde4 /share/config

I need to restore from a screw-up :)

OpenSuSE 13.2
KDE 4.14.9
Kalarm 2.10.12-ak

To make things safer, I want to create a cron file for backing up just the display alarms and copying them to my usb memory stick drive

< I do make monthly back-ups (/home) .... its on a scheduler ..... just remember to plug-in my 2Tb storage hard drive.
kalarm reminds me to plug in the storage device >

I want 2 or 3 copies (or more) of the latest display alarms (only) --- blah-blah-1 blah-blah 2 and blah-blah 3 (blah-blah can use what ever the display alarms filenames are. I just want to keep the last 3 back-ups (or more) made and rotate on the usb memory stick drive
I need help doing this.

thanks in advance
rs
google01103
Manager
it is in ~/.kde[4]/share/apps/kalarm

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

rogerspaceman
Registered Member
google01103 wrote:it is in ~/.kde[4]/share/apps/kalarm

Good deal .... it was under .kde4/share/apps/kalarm/calendar.ics ? Is this the file I would like to make daily backups and rotate 3 copies (or more) on the USB memory disk ?

When I viewed this file with a text editor .... it didnt show my "calendar dates" I made

do I need copies of displaying.ics, expire.ics, kalarmui.rc and template.ics ??? on the USB memory disk as well ? Or are monthly backups enough.

Thanks!
google01103
Manager
I backup everything daily to a 2nd disk on my pc then monthly to an external drive (using a small script and Kalarm) - the files are pretty small though the needs to backp the ancillary ones would depend on how often they are changed (kalarmui.rc) and whether the expired alarms have any value (expire.ics)

I don't know why your calendar dates would not show, did you try a find looking for "description"?

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

djarvie
KDE Developer
OS
calendar.ics contains all your active alarms including all the date information. You should also consider backing up .kde4/share/config/kalarmrc which contains KAlarm's settings. You only need to back up expire.ics if you need copies of expired alarms, and template.ics if you have defined any alarm templates. kalarmui.rc stores any customizations you have made to the KAlarm toolbar.

KAlarm author
rogerspaceman
Registered Member
Thanks everyone for their help and the filename explanations.

After taking a second (& deeper) look at calendar.ics .... its kinda in english ;) - just wasnt the expected format. ie: all the code wording stuff

Anyways, doesnt matter ... I got the calendar schedule back, thanks to you guys.

To the developers ... I love this "alarm" been using it for years and years, too many years ;) .... and since I'm an older individual I really need this.