This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

After Daylight Saving Time 2017 all alarms display 1 hr late

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
pstark
Registered Member
I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this, or if there is anything I can do to correct it.

After Daylight Saving Time occurred on Sunday March 12 in the U.S. I found that all the pre-existing alarms I have configured now display (that is, pop up on the screen) one hour later than configured for. For example, prior to DST, a daily display event set for 9pm would pop up at 9pm as expected. The same event now pops up at 10pm. Looking at the settings for that event, they are unchanged, with the time still set to 9pm.

My bios time/date and OS time/date are correct following the DST change. My time zone configured within Kalarm is correct for my location and is the same now as it was before Daylight Saving Time.

I noticed that the "Time To" column now shows a pending amount of time that is 1 hour longer than the time configured for the event itself. That is, if it is 8pm and I look in Kalarm for the "Time To" for the daily 9pm event, "Time To" shows 2 hours, while at the same time the scheduled time for the event itself is set to 9pm.

Any new event I now create also shows a "Time To" 1 hour beyond the time configured in the event itself, and it pops up 1 hour later than the configured time.

Especially interesting is If I create an event and configure it to ignore the time zone, then "Time To" is correct, and the event pops up/displays at the time configured.

Here is the "about Kalarm" information:
Version 2.11.4-5ak
KDE Frameworks 5.18.0
Qt 5.5.1 (built against 5.5.1)
The xcb windowing system

And the output of lsb-release -a:
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS
Release: 16.04
Codename: xenial
ivanthekdefan
Registered Member
OS
Seems to me like it's a bug with KAlarm.

Hi, I'm Ivan, a competent computer user (which means geek to most). I run KDE neon Developer when it works and KDE neon User when Developer doesn't work.
Hope I helped you with any problems you may have had :)
djarvie
KDE Developer
OS
This was fixed in KDE Applications version 16.04. You'll need Ubuntu 16.10 to get that version (unless there is a backport available for Ubuntu 16.04).

KAlarm author
pstark
Registered Member
David, thank you very much for your reply and that information. I don't know much about backports, but took this as an opportunity to learn. I checked if backports is included and enabled in my sources.list, and it looks like it is:
$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list | grep -i back
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ xenial-backports main restricted universe multiverse

I checked for the installed package name for kalarm:
$ sudo apt list --installed | grep -i alarm
kalarm/xenial,now 4:15.12.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
libkf5alarmcalendar5/xenial,now 4:15.12.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]

and I ran apt-get to install kalarm from backports:
$ sudo apt-get install kalarm/xenial-backports
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Release 'xenial-backports' for 'kalarm' was not found

Is that the correct way to check if a backport version of an application exists? If so, it appears there is no backport of Kalarm for the version of Kbuntu I'm running (16.04.2 LTS). Does this make my best option to move to 16.10? Thank you again for your time.
djarvie
KDE Developer
OS
I don't run Ubuntu myself, so it's always possible that there could be some other way to obtain KDE Applications 16.04 packages designed for your system that I'm not aware of. But if you can't find any packages, then you would need to move to Ubuntu 16.10 to get the fix.

KAlarm author
pstark
Registered Member
Thank you David - I'll look around to see if there are any alternative ways to get those packages. If I come across a way to do so I'll follow up here.
pstark
Registered Member
David, I wanted to share what I found while looking for a backport of Kalarm for 16.04 LTS. I found and added the KDE backports PPA (https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+arc ... /backports) to my system, did an 'apt-get update' followed by 'apt-get install kalarm', just to see what I'd get back. The list of updates was extensive and not something I have the courage to mix and match on my main pc :-)
But, I may install the LTS on a spare system and go through this, just to see what happens. In the end, I'll plan to move to 16.10.

In case you're curious, this is the result I got from running 'apt-get install kalarm' after adding the backports PPA:

$ sudo apt install kalarm
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
kdepim-doc kf5-kdepim-apps-libs-data kf5-messagelib-data ktnef libkf5akonadisearchdebug5 libkf5calendarsupport5 libkf5eventviews-data libkf5eventviews5
libkf5followupreminder5 libkf5gapidrive5 libkf5gpgmepp-pthread5 libkf5grantleetheme-plugins libkf5grantleetheme5 libkf5gravatar5 libkf5iconthemes-bin
libkf5incidenceeditor-bin libkf5incidenceeditor5 libkf5kaddressbookgrantlee5 libkf5kdepimdbusinterfaces5 libkf5kdgantt2-5 libkf5kiogui5 libkf5kmanagesieve5
libkf5kontactinterface-data libkf5kontactinterface5 libkf5ksieve-data libkf5ksieve5 libkf5ksieveui5 libkf5libkleo5 libkf5mailcommon-plugins libkf5mailcommon5
libkf5mailimporter5 libkf5messagecomposer5 libkf5messagecore5 libkf5messagelist5 libkf5messageviewer5 libkf5qgpgme5 libkf5sendlater5 libkf5syndication5
libkf5templateparser5 libkf5tnef5
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.

The following additional packages will be installed:
frameworkintegration kde-style-qtcurve-qt5 kf5-kdepim-apps-libs-data kf5-messagelib-data libkf5calendarcore5 libkf5calendarutils5 libkf5declarative-data
libkf5declarative5 libkf5eventviews-data libkf5eventviews5 libkf5followupreminder5 libkf5grantleetheme-plugins libkf5grantleetheme5 libkf5gravatar5
libkf5iconthemes-data libkf5iconthemes5 libkf5identitymanagement5abi1 libkf5incidenceeditor-bin libkf5incidenceeditor5 libkf5kaddressbookgrantlee5 libkf5kiocore5
libkf5kiogui5 libkf5ksieve-data libkf5ksieveui5 libkf5libkdepim-data libkf5libkdepim-plugins libkf5libkdepim5 libkf5mailcommon-plugins libkf5mailcommon5
libkf5mailimporter5 libkf5messagecomposer5 libkf5messagelist5 libkf5messageviewer5 libkf5newstuff-data libkf5newstuff5 libkf5pimcommon-plugins libkf5pimcommon5
libkf5pimtextedit5abi1 libkf5sendlater5 libkf5templateparser5 libqgsttools-p1 libqt5clucene5 libqt5core5a libqt5dbus5 libqt5designer5 libqt5designercomponents5
libqt5gui5 libqt5help5 libqt5multimedia5 libqt5multimedia5-plugins libqt5network5 libqt5opengl5 libqt5printsupport5 libqt5qml5 libqt5quick5 libqt5quickparticles5
libqt5quicktest5 libqt5quickwidgets5 libqt5script5 libqt5sql5 libqt5sql5-mysql libqt5sql5-sqlite libqt5svg5 libqt5test5 libqt5waylandclient5 libqt5webkit5
libqt5widgets5 libqt5x11extras5 libqt5xml5 libqt5xmlpatterns5 libxcb-xinerama0 mesa-utils python3-pyqt5 qml-module-qtquick-controls qml-module-qtquick-dialogs
qml-module-qtquick-layouts qml-module-qtquick-privatewidgets qml-module-qtquick-window2 qml-module-qtquick-xmllistmodel qml-module-qtquick2 qml-module-qtwebkit
qtbase5-dbg qtdeclarative5-dbg qttools5-dev-tools qtwayland5

Suggested packages:
jovie gtk2-engines-qtcurve libqt5libqgtk2 qt5-qmltooling-plugins python3-pyqt5-dbg qtdeclarative5-examples

Recommended packages:
libkf5iconthemes-bin

The following packages will be REMOVED:
accountwizard akregator kaddressbook kmail knotes kontact korganizer libkf5incidenceeditorsng5 libkf5noteshared5

The following NEW packages will be installed:
kf5-kdepim-apps-libs-data kf5-messagelib-data libkf5eventviews-data libkf5grantleetheme-plugins libkf5grantleetheme5 libkf5identitymanagement5abi1
libkf5incidenceeditor-bin libkf5incidenceeditor5 libkf5kaddressbookgrantlee5 libkf5kiogui5 libkf5ksieve-data libkf5libkdepim-data libkf5libkdepim-plugins
libkf5mailcommon-plugins libkf5pimcommon-plugins libkf5pimtextedit5abi1 libxcb-xinerama0 mesa-utils

The following packages will be upgraded:
frameworkintegration kalarm kde-style-qtcurve-qt5 libkf5calendarcore5 libkf5calendarutils5 libkf5declarative-data libkf5declarative5 libkf5eventviews5
libkf5followupreminder5 libkf5gravatar5 libkf5iconthemes-data libkf5iconthemes5 libkf5kiocore5 libkf5ksieveui5 libkf5libkdepim5 libkf5mailcommon5
libkf5mailimporter5 libkf5messagecomposer5 libkf5messagelist5 libkf5messageviewer5 libkf5newstuff-data libkf5newstuff5 libkf5pimcommon5 libkf5sendlater5
libkf5templateparser5 libqgsttools-p1 libqt5clucene5 libqt5core5a libqt5dbus5 libqt5designer5 libqt5designercomponents5 libqt5gui5 libqt5help5 libqt5multimedia5
libqt5multimedia5-plugins libqt5network5 libqt5opengl5 libqt5printsupport5 libqt5qml5 libqt5quick5 libqt5quickparticles5 libqt5quicktest5 libqt5quickwidgets5
libqt5script5 libqt5sql5 libqt5sql5-mysql libqt5sql5-sqlite libqt5svg5 libqt5test5 libqt5waylandclient5 libqt5webkit5 libqt5widgets5 libqt5x11extras5 libqt5xml5
libqt5xmlpatterns5 python3-pyqt5 qml-module-qtquick-controls qml-module-qtquick-dialogs qml-module-qtquick-layouts qml-module-qtquick-privatewidgets
qml-module-qtquick-window2 qml-module-qtquick-xmllistmodel qml-module-qtquick2 qml-module-qtwebkit qtbase5-dbg qtdeclarative5-dbg qttools5-dev-tools qtwayland5
68 upgraded, 18 newly installed, 9 to remove and 442 not upgraded.
Need to get 369 MB of archives.
After this operation, 10.9 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.
pstark
Registered Member
Hello David - I'm writing to update you regarding the issue described in my initial post (existing alarms triggering 1 hr late after Daylight Saving Time, and "Time To" showing 2x the amount of pending time until an alarm is scheduled). I am still running the same version of Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS and Kalarm but, for some reason, the issues I described initially no longer occur. I must have received an update of some sort that resolved the issue. I was thinking of upgrading to 16.10 as you suggested but, at least for the sake of Kalarm, that no longer seems necessary. I wish I could tell you what changed, but I don't know. Maybe the fix you described here - https://phabricator.kde.org/D1375 - was rolled into a 16.04 update.

Thanks again for your earlier feedback.

- Peter
Ofnuts
Registered Member
OS
pstark wrote:Hello David - I'm writing to update you regarding the issue described in my initial post (existing alarms triggering 1 hr late after Daylight Saving Time, and "Time To" showing 2x the amount of pending time until an alarm is scheduled). I am still running the same version of Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS and Kalarm but, for some reason, the issues I described initially no longer occur. I must have received an update of some sort that resolved the issue. I was thinking of upgrading to 16.10 as you suggested but, at least for the sake of Kalarm, that no longer seems necessary. I wish I could tell you what changed, but I don't know. Maybe the fix you described here - https://phabricator.kde.org/D1375 - was rolled into a 16.04 update.

- Peter

Same problem here on a freshly installed 16.04, but I didn't get the miracle update... Has anyone got more information on this?
brunoh
Registered Member
I had the same problem. After creating an image of my installation, I added the PPA described in this post. This solved the problem and (at least on the first look) didn't cause any problems.
pstark
Registered Member
djarvie wrote:I don't run Ubuntu myself, so it's always possible that there could be some other way to obtain KDE Applications 16.04 packages designed for your system that I'm not aware of. But if you can't find any packages, then you would need to move to Ubuntu 16.10 to get the fix.

Hello David - a quick follow up. I did resolve the issue I described at the top of this thread by doing what you suggested - installing backports, and it did allow kalarm on my Ubuntu 16.04.4 system to handle daylight savings times properly. Thanks for all your good work.
pstark
Registered Member
Ofnuts wrote:
pstark wrote:Hello David - I'm writing to update you regarding the issue described in my initial post (existing alarms triggering 1 hr late after Daylight Saving Time, and "Time To" showing 2x the amount of pending time until an alarm is scheduled). I am still running the same version of Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS and Kalarm but, for some reason, the issues I described initially no longer occur. I must have received an update of some sort that resolved the issue. I was thinking of upgrading to 16.10 as you suggested but, at least for the sake of Kalarm, that no longer seems necessary. I wish I could tell you what changed, but I don't know. Maybe the fix you described here - https://phabricator.kde.org/D1375 - was rolled into a 16.04 update.

- Peter

Same problem here on a freshly installed 16.04, but I didn't get the miracle update... Has anyone got more information on this?

Ofnuts - I ended up adding the backports PPA as I described elsewhere in this thread, and doing and update and dist-upgrade on my system, and now kalarm handles the time change with no apparent issues.
Ofnuts
Registered Member
OS
pstark wrote:Ofnuts - I ended up adding the backports PPA as I described elsewhere in this thread, and doing and update and dist-upgrade on my system, and now kalarm handles the time change with no apparent issues.

Added backports but I get:
Code: Select all
 kalarm : Depends: libkf5pimcommon-plugins but it is not going to be installed
          Depends: libkf5pimcommon5 (>= 4:16.04) but it is not going to be installed

Currently
dpkg -l libkf5pimcommon5
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                 Version         Architecture    Description
+++-====================-===============-===============-==============================================
ii  libkf5pimcommon5     4:15.12.3-0ubun amd64           library for common bits of KDEPIM

It seems that I can manually upgrade libkf5pimcommon5, but this will remove useful things like kate, dolphin and okteta?:

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  accountwizard akonadi-server akregator dolphin kaddressbook kalarm kate kde-config-gtk-style
  kdepim-runtime kinfocenter kmail knotes kontact korganizer ksysguard kwin kwin-addons kwin-common
  kwin-x11 libkasten3okteta1controllers1 libkf5incidenceeditorsng5 libkf5ksieveui5 libkf5mailcommon5
  libkf5messagecomposer5 libkf5messageviewer5 libkf5noteshared5 libkf5templateparser5 muon-notifier
  muon-updater notification-daemon:i386 okteta plasma-desktop plasma-discover plasma-discover-private
  plasma-discover-updater plasma-widgets-addons plasma-workspace sddm sddm-theme-breeze