This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Unable to activat KAlarm main menu

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jandon
Registered Member

Unable to activat KAlarm main menu

Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:10 pm
What should I do to activate (display) the main menu? I tried assigning it a shortcut in KAlarms shortcuts, I even assigned a global shortcut for displaying application menu (in system settings), but nothing has effect. The problem is that I used Application menu title bar button (as a window decoration), but after I removed it the main menu in KAlarm doesn't show up anymore.
Thanks!
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Moved this to another subforum, as it is a windows configuration issue, not specific to KAlarm. Does Ctrl+M help?

If not, you might want to disable the Application menus daemon in System Settings -> Workspace -> Background Services in the lower part reading "Startup Services"

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
jandon
Registered Member
@Mamarok
Thanks for the reply!

I disabled Application menus daemon service, but the menu is still not visible.
I tried CTRL+M, but that shortcut is for creating a new email alarm. Plus it looks like it's so specific to KAlarm its name is even hard coded into KAlarm system tray menu, although I removed that shortcut from KAlarm shortcuts.
I'm afraid this may be specific to KAlarm, because the other Qt applications have the main menu displayed (directly or after pressing CTRL+M) after removing Application menu button from window.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
ok, back to KAlarm, then

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
jandon
Registered Member
Well, one problem I can clearly see with KAlarm is that it is ignoring the system shortcuts, because I assigned CTRL+M and CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+M to Show menubar action in System settings standard shortcuts, but the action is ignored when invoked from within the app.
djarvie
KDE Developer
OS
This issue should be fixed for the next KDE applications release 19.12.2. A Show Menubar option has been added to the Settings menu, and it uses Ctrl-M. The shortcut to create a new email alarm has been changed to Ctrl-L.

KAlarm author
jandon
Registered Member
@djarvie
Thank you for taking your time to reply to an anonymous request!
jandon
Registered Member
In the meanwhile I found that there are other applications that have problems with the menu. There is a solution to the problem in this thread Menubar has disappeared from all apps.
Sorry for pointing out KAlarm for this!
Mamarok
Manager
OS
jandon wrote:In the meanwhile I found that there are other applications that have problems with the menu. There is a solution to the problem in this thread Menubar has disappeared from all apps.
Sorry for pointing out KAlarm for this!

Which is entirely unrelated! Please do not compare threads from 7 years ago about a completely different implementation with a different framework than the current.