This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

History and other ideas

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Wizzard
Registered Member
OS

History and other ideas

Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:23 am
Hello, I would like to ask for some features:
* chat history would be very helpful
* skype protocol support
* system tray icon
* to remember Contacts window position

KDE Slovak translation team translator and coordinator
drdanz
KDE Developer
OS

Re: History and other ideas

Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:12 pm
Wizzard wrote:Hello, I would like to ask for some features:
* chat history would be very helpful

A chat log viewer was released in kde telepathy 0.4.

Wizzard wrote:* skype protocol support

It's already implemented, you need to install telepathy-haze and pidgin-skype (on debian and similar)

Wizzard wrote:* system tray icon

We have the "Instant Messaging Presence" plasmoid that works almost as a normal system tray icon

Wizzard wrote:* to remember Contacts window position

iirc it should be fixed since 0.3.1 or for sure it works in 0.4
Wizzard
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:33 pm
Thank you very much. I look forward for Telepathy 0.4, cause there is only 0.3 in Kubuntu packages, hope it will be released soon.

But, I have telepathy-haze and pidgin-skype installed and cannot add Skype protocol. Is it also from version 0.4?

Also, I know about applet Instant Messaging Presence, but it has no systray icon and its usage is quite complicated :(

drdanz
KDE Developer
OS

Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:43 pm
Wizzard wrote:I have telepathy-haze and pidgin-skype installed and cannot add Skype protocol. Is it also from version 0.4?

You also need skype installed, and you need to restart telepathy-haze after installing pidgin-skype... Afaik, it should work with 0.3 as well, but we had a few other bug reports... Please ensure that you restarted haze, eventually logout and log back in, and try again. (btw the right place to report bugs and request new features is https://bugs.kde.org/ , we try to follow the forum as well but we might miss something)

Wizzard wrote:Also, I know about applet Instant Messaging Presence, but it has no systray icon and its usage is quite complicated :(

To put it in your systray: right click on the system tray -> system tray settings -> Display tab (the one shown by default) -> Put the tick in Instant Messaging Presence -> click ok

What do you find so complicated in the presence plasmoid? We are open to suggestions :)
Wizzard
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:09 am
I have skype installed too, of course, and both telepathy-haze and pidgin-skype a long ago. When I want to add a new IM account in the IM settings, I do not see Skype protocol at all.

I know how to add Instant Messaging Presence. When I added it, I do not see any systray icon, just some extra free space at the systray that the applet occupies. I would like to have the opportunity to open the contact list by clicking the tray icon. I set the action to show the IM contacts by clicking the icon, but it does not work either.

Sorry for asking this questions here, I do not think that the bug report is necessary, because it seems like just I am doing something wrong.

drdanz
KDE Developer
OS

Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:32 am
I had some issue with ktp 0.3 on some systems in setting the presence plasmoid to open the contact list, try adding to your ~/.kde/share/config/ktelepathyrc file
Code: Select all
[PresencePlasmoid]
onClick=contactlist
In 0.4 this is the default option...
Anyway you should see the status icon, not an empty space, perhaps something is wrong with your configuration or you are missing some icon... or perhaps kubuntu package is broken...

About skype, please run on a terminal
qdbus org.freedesktop.Telepathy.ConnectionManager.haze /org/freedesktop/Telepathy/ConnectionManager/haze org.freedesktop.Telepathy.ConnectionManager.ListProtocols
and check if "bigbrownchunx-skype-dbus" is there.
Wizzard
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:51 am
Okay, I added those settings to ktelepathyrc, removed the applet, re-added it, does not open the contacts on click.

About that icon, I am using Oxygen icon set, cannot it be the icon missing there?

That skype command outputs:

gadugadu
zephyr
groupwise
local-xmpp
aim
msn
sametime
myspace
irc
sip
jabber
yahoo
yahoojp

It is quite interesting, because I use skype in Pidgin with no problems. (another issue is, that I cannot connect with telepathy via proxy, but not important now)

drdanz
KDE Developer
OS

Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:04 am
Something seems to be broken in your pidgin-skype or in some other packages...

Can you send the output of those commands?
$ dpkg -l "*haze*" "*purple*" "*skype*"
$ dpkg -L pidgin-skype
Wizzard
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:12 am
I am afraid, it is not only mine, but Kubuntu-wide problem (you seem also have Kubuntu)

dpkg -l "*haze*" "*purple*" "*skype*"
Požadovaný=Neznámy/Inštalovať/Odstrániť/Vyčistiť/Podržať
| Stav=Nie/Inštalovaný/Konfig-súbory/Rozbalený/Zlý-konfig/Polo-inštalovaný/očak-spúšť/čaká-na-spúšť
|/ Chyba?=(žiadna)/Reinšt-vyžadovaná (Stav,Chyba: veľké písmeno=zle)
||/ Názov                Verzia                Popis
+++-=====================-=====================-==========================================================
ii  libpurple-bin         1:2.10.3-0ubuntu1     multi-protocol instant messaging library - extra utilities
ii  libpurple0            1:2.10.3-0ubuntu1     multi-protocol instant messaging library
ii  pidgin-skype          20110407+svn612+dfsg- Skype plugin for libpurple messengers
ii  skype                 2.2.0.35-1            Skype
un  skype4pidgin          <none>                (popis nie je k dispozícii)
ii  telepathy-haze        0.6.0-0ubuntu1        Telepathy connection manager that uses libpurple

dpkg -L pidgin-skype
/.
/usr
/usr/share
/usr/share/pixmaps
/usr/share/pixmaps/pidgin
/usr/share/pixmaps/pidgin/emotes
/usr/share/pixmaps/pidgin/emotes/skype
/usr/share/pixmaps/pidgin/emotes/skype/theme
/usr/share/pixmaps/pidgin/protocols
/usr/share/pixmaps/pidgin/protocols/16
/usr/share/pixmaps/pidgin/protocols/16/skype.png
/usr/share/pixmaps/pidgin/protocols/16/skypeout.png
/usr/share/pixmaps/pidgin/protocols/22
/usr/share/pixmaps/pidgin/protocols/22/skype.png
/usr/share/pixmaps/pidgin/protocols/22/skypeout.png
/usr/share/pixmaps/pidgin/protocols/48
/usr/share/pixmaps/pidgin/protocols/48/skype.png
/usr/share/pixmaps/pidgin/protocols/48/skypeout.png
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/pidgin-skype
/usr/share/doc/pidgin-skype/README.Debian
/usr/share/doc/pidgin-skype/copyright
/usr/share/doc/pidgin-skype/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/purple-2
/usr/lib/purple-2/libskype_dbus.so
/usr/lib/purple-2/libskype.so

I have the same problem on 3 computers running Kubuntu (KDE 4.8.x and 4.9 beta)

drdanz
KDE Developer
OS

Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:13 pm
Nope, I'm using Debian... the package list seem ok...
I think it might be a packaging problem though

Please check if you have the following files:
/usr/lib/kde4/ktpaccountskcm_plugin_haze.so
/usr/share/kde4/services/ktpaccountskcm_plugin_haze.desktop
/usr/share/telepathy/profiles/bigbrownchunx-skype-dbus.profile
Wizzard
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:38 pm
Meanwhile I found a ppa with Telepathy 0.4 and installed that. I checked those files, I have them all. Now I already have the opportunity to add a skype account, but it does not connect (Failed to create account. Possibly not all required fields are valid), the Advanced dialog is empty, skype runs. The instant messaging presence applet acts like before, just the position of the contact list seems to be remembered. I will try at home at KDE 4.9.

drdanz
KDE Developer
OS

Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:34 pm
I'm sorry I run out of ideas... Please, have a look at https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=299159 and see if it can help!
Wizzard
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:59 pm
Ok, I upgraded to 0.4 at home at KDE 4.9 beta 2, the applet works fine, history works too, great! The window remembers its position, too.

The only think that does not work is Skype. I cannot add it and configure anythink.

mck182
KDE Developer
OS

Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:33 pm
Wizzard wrote:I know how to add Instant Messaging Presence. When I added it, I do not see any systray icon, just some extra free space at the systray that the applet occupies

FYI, this was happening in 0.3 when you added the plasmoid to the panel via the "Add widgets..." thing, if you follow Drdanz's method, it 100% works ;)

Wizzard wrote:I would like to have the opportunity to open the contact list by clicking the tray icon. I set the action to show the IM contacts by clicking the icon, but it does not work either.

Done in 0.4, in 0.5 we'll have even hiding of the contact list by clicking the icon. Stay tuned :)

KDE Telepathy | Plasma | Plasma Mobile
Wizzard
Registered Member
OS

Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:44 am
Okay, and what about meta contacts?