This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Problems with video chat

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
andreasg
Registered Member
OS

Problems with video chat

Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:52 am
Hello!
I switched over from Kopete to KDE Telepathy 0.5 (Under Arch Linux) because I read it is able to make video calls with XMPP/Jingle, which I haven't managed to do with Kopete.
Video chatting from KDE Telepathy to KDE Telepathy works just fine, although a bit choppy and with low FPS. (Might be caused by slow internet connection, only 21kb/s upload)

But then I tried to do a video call with a friend who uses Jitsi under Windows. (Jitsi seems to be the only Windows client supporting Jingle with video)
First, no video at all. Then we saw an option for the video codecs. Default was just being H.264 enabled. Then we also enabled H.263 and we got at least my video transferred to the Jitsi user.
So I guess this is a codec problem. Is there any configuration needed?
I have installed gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-good gstreamer0.10-good-plugins if it's important.

An other problem I have is that my video is totally overbrightened and I see no configuration for the webcam at all.

And what happens if I have multiple cameras installed? For example when I upgrade my bad notebook integrated camera with an external one? (Which I'm going to do soon) Which one will be used by KDE Telepathy?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: Problems with video chat

Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:46 am
To my knowledge, H.264 may be patent encumbered, and therefore likely to not be supported in the packages you have installed from the mainline repositories. Are you able to play H.264 (or H.263) encoded videos using a player which uses GStreamer. Dragon Player with the GStreamer Phonon backend will be able to help you test here.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
gkiagia
KDE Developer

Re: Problems with video chat  Topic is solved

Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:51 am
andreasg wrote:But then I tried to do a video call with a friend who uses Jitsi under Windows. (Jitsi seems to be the only Windows client supporting Jingle with video)
First, no video at all. Then we saw an option for the video codecs. Default was just being H.264 enabled. Then we also enabled H.263 and we got at least my video transferred to the Jitsi user.
So I guess this is a codec problem. Is there any configuration needed?
I have installed gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-good gstreamer0.10-good-plugins if it's important.

For h264 you will also need gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly and it's also recommended to install gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad, which has some elements that improve quality a bit. Disabling h264 is an option of course, but a lot of clients use this codec (it's the best for video calls), so I recommend installing the necessary plugins instead.

andreasg wrote:An other problem I have is that my video is totally overbrightened and I see no configuration for the webcam at all.

Yes, this is a missing feature. It can be implemented of course, but it's not a total priority.

andreasg wrote:And what happens if I have multiple cameras installed? For example when I upgrade my bad notebook integrated camera with an external one? (Which I'm going to do soon) Which one will be used by KDE Telepathy?

You can select the camera in SystemSettings->Multimedia->Phonon
andreasg
Registered Member
OS

Re: Problems with video chat

Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:13 pm
Thank you! Installing gst-ugly and -bad solved the issue, video chat now works perfectly!

For the brightness issue I now close the curtains a bit. That's a workaround I can live with, until settings are available ;)