This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Metacontacts support

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
pirrata
Registered Member

Metacontacts support

Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:27 am
Hello.
I've been searching for the current status and/or roadmap regarding metacontact ("contact merging") support in KDE Telepathy and I haven't been able to find anything clear. Most references seem to be outdated, and even contradict each other. I found that there is going to be a meeting this month and one of the points would be KPeople and how it can be used on this matter, so I think it's a nice moment for asking about the (for me) most important missing feature of this nice application.

So, to make my question clear:
Is there any update regarding metacontacts and contact merging? A rough timeframe for it would be awesome.

Thanks!
mck182
KDE Developer
OS

Re: Metacontacts support

Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:28 am
Hey,

well the current status/roadmap is mostly in heads of those involved in the development, which is unfortunately a bad state to be in. But as I'm one of the involved ones, I'm happy to share the current state:

Central piece is kpeople library, which lives on kde's git servers. This library is missing few bits, but basically all we need is mostly there. There is also a branch of ktp-contact-list that is meant to be used with another branch of kpeople, but it's slightly outdated. The roadmap is not really set yet, but we're hoping to have this asap (not sooner than a month).

I'll use this thread to post more updates about the current state, so follow this for updates.

KDE Telepathy | Plasma | Plasma Mobile
vootey
Registered Member
OS

Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:16 pm
Thank you for the straight answer.

I will add another question to this: I heard that you - the kde telepathy guys - design the nepomuk-structures as well. Does this mean that if you are done with metacontacts, kadressbook has all of a sudden support for "persons" (i mean one person for different contact-data-sources) along with merging.. etc. too?
mck182
KDE Developer
OS

Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:23 pm
Not quite. The Nepomuk "structures" are called ontologies and we're reusing the ones from Shared Desktop Ontologies project (http://oscaf.sf.net/). Also once we're done with KDE Telepathy, the rest of the apps needs updating as well as none of them actually uses Nepomuk for contact management, so they all need updates to use those. Then it will all magically work ;)

Murz
Registered Member

Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:01 am
Now I use Kopete and can't move from it to KDE Telepathy without metacontacts, because I use metacontacts feature every day. So I glad to see metacontacts in newer versions of Telepathy, via Nepomuk or other way.

As I see in https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/256478 empathy already implement metacontacts feature, can we do something like this in KDE Telepathy?
wrD3
Registered Member
OS

Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:06 pm
Hi. KDE Telepathy is a great project. By i still use Kopete too, because I need metacontacts. So I'll be glad to see their support in next releases!
mck182
KDE Developer
OS

Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:07 pm
Murz wrote:As I see in https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/256478 empathy already implement metacontacts feature, can we do something like this in KDE Telepathy?

Unfortunately no. Empathy uses completely different technology (Folks), which we don't use in KDE nor there are any plans for using it.

It's on the way, hang tight ;)

LBL
Registered Member
OS

Mon May 06, 2013 7:22 pm
Anything new on this front?

42: There is no other answer. There are only different ways to express it.
0x2A
0o52
0b101010
mck182
KDE Developer
OS

Mon May 06, 2013 8:56 pm
This week ^-^

vootey
Registered Member
OS

Mon May 13, 2013 5:30 pm
mck182 wrote:This week ^-^

ehhm.. what does that mean? 8)
david_edmundson
KDE Developer
OS

Mon May 13, 2013 5:40 pm
He meant this week.
mck182
KDE Developer
OS

Mon May 27, 2013 6:33 pm
To give more precise statement - we were almost ready to have a KTp 0.6 spinoff released with metacontacts support. Then we had a meeting. And we were advised to change things a bit. But since then I stopped working on it as I have my graduation exam ahead and I need to focus on this. That's why there's still nothing out yet. Sorry about that. I should get fulltime again in mid-June.

sinclair
Registered Member
OS

Tue May 28, 2013 8:03 am
mck182 wrote:To give more precise statement - we were almost ready to have a KTp 0.6 spinoff released with metacontacts support. Then we had a meeting. And we were advised to change things a bit. But since then I stopped working on it as I have my graduation exam ahead and I need to focus on this. That's why there's still nothing out yet. Sorry about that. I should get fulltime again in mid-June.

Thanks for the update, good luck with exam!
LtWorf
Registered Member
OS

Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:14 pm
Any, more recent, news?
david_edmundson
KDE Developer
OS