This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

network notifications

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
sinclair
Registered Member
OS

network notifications

Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:50 am
not sure if this is telepathy related really but I go NUTS from the way the notifications work. Am using 0.6 beta but this is same on all versions.

When I get network disconnections, something that happens frequently where I live and work, I get BOMBARDED with "there was a problem connecting -account- " and so on. I can understand that you want to notify me, the user, that an account wen offline due to problems but the fact is that an internet user normally knows already he/she has lost connection.

Second problem is that it pops up like every 10 seconds repeatedly and becomes a bother rather than useful information.

And to top it the worst: there was a connection problem because I cancelled it, in other words set status to offline. Yes, I am fully aware of what I did...

I suggest to act like skype in case of disconnection - let the sys tray icon or desktop widget "spin" to indicate it is trying to connect. I will see it, I promise ;-)
mck182
KDE Developer
OS

Re: network notifications

Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:44 pm
This is moreless what we did with notifications for 0.6beta - you should not see any notification in case of network disconnection, you should see only 1 notification for all account errors and it should display after it tried reconnecting. Then it should keep trying reconnecting and not bother you anymore.

Have you logged out/in or rebooted after installing 0.6beta? The error handling is done in kded module and you might still have the old one running.

KDE Telepathy | Plasma | Plasma Mobile
sinclair
Registered Member
OS

Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:35 am
I have certainly rebooted since upgrading (actually I am on daily builds now) but possibly have not had any network errors lately. Let me "trigger" one and I will report back after that.
sinclair
Registered Member
OS

Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:31 am
Some daily updates later it has certainly improved in not "killing" me with notifications.

A really irritating one though: when I disconnect an account deliberately I get a notification "there was a problem with ..account... you disconnected it" or similar.

Yes I know I disconnected it.. this is a case of "one too many" notifications, it can be removed