This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

desperately seeking ktp-paste-contact

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jjordan
Registered Member
I am trying to implement some shell scripts, that will be initialized by clicking on a phone number or "sms" in Kontact, to dial or send sms via my android phone using GTalkSMS.

https://code.google.com/p/gtalksms

I have them working using sendxmpp but it is a really hackish solution, especially because I have to log into the same Jabber account using two different programs at the same time, Telepathy and sendxmpp. It is also very slow to log in each time I send a command.

It looks like ktp-paste-contact will do exactly what I need; since I already have Telepathy running it should also be faster and much more graceful.

I found a little information about ktp-paste-contact here:

blogs.fsfe.org/drdanz/?cat=242

Somebody called "drdanzs" blog. Looks like he is the developer but I could not find any contact information anywhere on the blog.

There is a git repository listed: kde:scratch/ddomenichelli/ktp-paste-contact.git

But I cannot seem to connect to that (don't really know much about git)

Web searches turn up only a couple of blog references and digging through every other Telepathy related repository and ppa did not help.

If anybody can point me to where I can get this program, I would greatly appreciate it! Source code is fine a .deb would be awesome

Regards, -j
david_edmundson
KDE Developer
OS
DrDanz is one of the KTp developers.

ktp-paste contact is one of our (several) unreleased pieces of software, we wrote it as a demo/experiment which we keep available to developers wanting to play but we don't release.

If we released it properly we would have to make proper releases and commit to supporting it fully forever. We don't want to do that.
We will help here, but we will not be accepting any official bug reports on it.

Project is at:

http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=scratch%2Fdd ... ontact.git

Type "git clone git://anongit.kde.org/scratch/ddomenich ... ontact.git" to get the latest source code.

Let us know how it works out.

Use you will want is:
echo My message | ktp-paste-contact --account accountId --contact foo@Example.com

ignore the "--format" parameter

use "mc-tool list" to find out the account id.

Good luck!
jjordan
Registered Member

Found it and got it working!

Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:04 am
I located an email address for drdanz on Gitorious and he very graciously told me how to get the git repository. Everything is working great! Even better than I had hoped. I can now send SMS from my computer and more importantly using the keyboard, initiate phone calls, locate my phone and some other cool stuff via a bash script that uses Kdialog to present a menu and text input boxes, then calls ktp-paste-contact to send the commands via xmpp. Also able to click on a phone number in Kontact and it will pass the number and dial command to my cellphone or click on SMS for a mobile number and will present a dialog to enter the text. Everything goes via my cellphone (unlimited text plan) so I can continue an SMS conversation at home or away.

Thanks all and keep up the good work!

-j
david_edmundson
KDE Developer
OS
That sounds really cool. How are you doing the SMS's?

Would you be interesting in sharing this with the community?

I had planned a blog post about scripting + telepathy, mostly on using mc-tool but covering ktp-paste contact. Maybe you'd like to help?