This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

ktelepathy and ibus-unikey???

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
chaum
Registered Member

ktelepathy and ibus-unikey???

Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:52 am
Hi all,

Recently, I installed Fedora 19 with default ktelepathy installed. I like the way it work, specially with logview system. However, I run into a problem, I can't input my mother language (vietnamese). I can use default input of KDE system (Vietnamese input), but I'm not familiar with the keyboard layout and the way that I have to input to get the characteres right. Beside that, the font display very bad (although it good with english).
I use ibus-unikey for whole my system, pidgin is okie with that too. But I can't use it with ktp-text-ui. I don't know why.
Please somebody show me how to fix this???

Right now, I use pidgin for alternative. But I really like text-ui of ktelepathy and the logview system too. Hope I can solve my problem and happy to use ktelepathy.

~James.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: ktelepathy and ibus-unikey???

Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:28 pm
Is the appropriate Qt interface for IBus package installed? On my system it is called ibus-qt.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
chaum
Registered Member

Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:48 am
bcooksley wrote:Is the appropriate Qt interface for IBus package installed? On my system it is called ibus-qt.

it's a package called ibus-unikey. This package work fine with most other apps. Just ktp-text-ui have problem with this. I hear that ktp-text-ui have problems with ibus input for a long time, i'm not sure this one fixed or not yet.
david_edmundson
KDE Developer
OS

Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:21 am
Sorry you've been having problems. None of the KTp developers use ibus and therefore have no idea how to test or fix this.

I'm not aware of us doing anything unusual that would prevent it working.
If you can give us some instructions on how to get set up/test I'll try and investigate what's wrong and fix it.
chaum
Registered Member

Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:48 pm
david_edmundson wrote:Sorry you've been having problems. None of the KTp developers use ibus and therefore have no idea how to test or fix this.

I'm not aware of us doing anything unusual that would prevent it working.
If you can give us some instructions on how to get set up/test I'll try and investigate what's wrong and fix it.

You can easily install this package from app store (yum install ibus-unikey). Start ibus-setup from console and add vietnamese-->unikey into Input Method. Now you can choose Vietnamese unikey to test some viet nam characters: like this: open kwrite and type: xin chaof --> xin chào (right now I use it). But then, you come to KDE chat (ktp-text-ui, right???) and type the same, it will not change anything.

Here are something. Gnowe use Ibus as default input source, what kind of input source that KDE env use??? I want to know so that I can find something more suitable for KDE.

I know I can use Setting --> System Setting --> Input Devices --> Keyboard --> Layouts --> and Add Vietnamese layout there. It work with ktp-text-ui, but the layout very strange (it's hard to type Vietnamese correctly), and the font really funny.

And another thing here, Ktelepathy does not show buddy avatars.

I'm really like the theme and the log system and not give up with Ktelepathy yet, but right now, I have to use Pidgin to chat with my friend. And I hope It'll be fixed for the next version.

Let's me know If you found something.

Thanks.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:48 am
Did other KDE or Qt applications work?

KDE Sysadmin
chaum
Registered Member

Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:08 am
bcooksley wrote:Did other KDE or Qt applications work?

This is really lame. It did work with KWrite, Konsole before. But after I remove all Ibus and its dependences and reinstall ibus-unikey, it not work any more. Just some soft work (Gnumeric, LibreOffice-Write, Firefox,...), maybe not KDE anymore. LOL.

James.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:55 am
Based off http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/ ... 6.rpm.html I suspect you need to install the package "ibus-qt" to enabled IBus support in Qt (and thus KDE as well).

KDE Sysadmin
chaum
Registered Member

Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:03 am
Hi all, again,

I did reinstall my machine (yes, I have time). Right now, all things come back as I said. I can type my vietnamese in Konsole, Firefox, KWrite...
I can type vietnamese in KDE IM Contacts, but in chat window (ktp-text-ui???) can not. (I have a screenshot to prove - but I can't attach it.).

bcooksley wrote:Based off http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/ ... 6.rpm.html I suspect you need to install the package "ibus-qt" to enabled IBus support in Qt (and thus KDE as well).

I install ibus-qt package as you said, Not thing happen. Sorry.

~James.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:05 am
With regards to screenshots - you'll need to post them on an external site such as Imageshack, or SUSEPaste, and post a link to it here.

KDE Sysadmin
chaum
Registered Member

Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:23 am
bcooksley wrote:With regards to screenshots - you'll need to post them on an external site such as Imageshack, or SUSEPaste, and post a link to it here.

This is screenshot for what I said. Please look at KDE IM Contacts (search box) and chat windows. Two windows have been typed the same characters, but the results are diff. The top-right corner, the an icon with V image (that the ibus-unikey signature for being use unikey type mode).
And if you look more detail, my friend send to me with vietnamese text perfectly. but I have to type without sign (it hard to read and confuse sometime).
Any ideas???
link: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/kf7f.png/
~James.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:40 am
The developers will need to investigate that particular text widget then - it is quite likely it does something special which breaks the display of certain characters.

KDE Sysadmin