This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

purple-facebook plugin

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mathojojo
Registered Member
OS

purple-facebook plugin

Sat May 14, 2016 11:31 am
Hello,

I would be interested to know if someone successfully managed to have facebook Instant Messages working in KDE Telepathy, and if yes, How ??

Facebook is not using the XMPP protocole anymore, but a plugin, called purple-facebook has been developed and is working fine with Pidgin (I'm testing it actually). But In KDE Telepathy, the plugin isn't listed in the available protocoles. However, Telepathy-haze is installed (for libpurple), and of course purple-facebook too.

If there is no way to have it working actually, it would be nice if a developer could implement it (it shouldn't be so hard, as the plugin already exist... it might just need integration for KDE Telepathy).

Thank you :)
Hoth
Registered Member
OS

Re: purple-facebook plugin

Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:12 pm
Three years later, this problem still seems to persist. The telepathy-haze package description says "allows Telepathy-based applications to connect to all protocols supported by libpurple" and yet that doesn't seem to include purple-facebook for some reason?

Update: I followed the instructions at https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/8 ... telepathy/ and managed to get it working that way. Summarized in case the above link ever fails or is unclear:
1) Make sure you have purple-facebook and telepathy-haze
2) Run this command after replacing the capitalized parts:
mc-tool add haze/facebook YOUR.FB.ACCOUNT.EMAIL string:account=YOUR.FB.ACCOUNT.EMAIL string:password=YOUR.FB.ACCOUNT.PASSWORD
3) Run "mc-tool list" to find a line that looks something like haze/facebook/you_40mail_2ecom0
4) Run "mc-tool enable haze/facebook/you_40mail_2ecom0" replacing haze/facebook/you_40mail_2ecom0 with the exact line you found above
5) Go offline and then back online

All we need is someone to put the GUI button onto the instant messaging settings page to save everyone this work.
djeremaille
Registered Member

Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:41 am
Hoth wrote:Three years later, this problem still seems to persist. The telepathy-haze package description says "allows Telepathy-based applications to connect to all protocols supported by libpurple" and yet that doesn't seem to include purple-facebook for some reason?

Update: I followed the instructions at https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/8 ... telepathy/ and managed to get it working that way. Summarized in case the above link ever fails or is unclear:
1) Make sure you have purple-facebook and telepathy-haze
2) Run this command after replacing the capitalized parts:
mc-tool add haze/facebook YOUR.FB.ACCOUNT.EMAIL string:account=YOUR.FB.ACCOUNT.EMAIL string:password=YOUR.FB.ACCOUNT.PASSWORD
3) Run "mc-tool list" to find a line that looks something like haze/facebook/you_40mail_2ecom0
4) Run "mc-tool enable haze/facebook/you_40mail_2ecom0" replacing haze/facebook/you_40mail_2ecom0 with the exact line you found above
5) Go offline and then back online

All we need is someone to put the GUI button onto the instant messaging settings page to save everyone this work.

Hi!
I can't get it working with this method.
When I open "Contact list" I have an error message.

Journalctl:

mars 20 09:22:54 ubuntu-GP62-6QE kernel: audit: type=1400 audit(1584692574.686:39): apparmor="DENIED" operation="ptrace" profile="/usr/lib/telepathy/telepathy-*" pid=3540 comm="telepathy-haze" requested_mask="trace" denied_mask="trace" peer="unconfined"
mars 20 09:22:54 ubuntu-GP62-6QE org.kde.ktpcontactlist[2457]: tp-qt 0.9.8 WARN: Nested PendingReady for true failed with "org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Error.ConnectionFailed" : "Unable to connect to b-api.facebook.com: SSL Handshake Failed"
mars 20 09:22:54 ubuntu-GP62-6QE org.kde.ktpcontactlist[2457]: tp-qt 0.9.8 WARN: Building connection "/org/freedesktop/Telepathy/Connection/haze/facebook/xxxxxxxxxx_40gmail_2ecom" failed with "org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Error.ConnectionFailed" - "Unable to connect to b-api.facebook.com: SSL Handshake Failed"
mars 20 09:22:54 ubuntu-GP62-6QE org.kde.ktpcontactlist[2457]: tp-qt 0.9.8 WARN: StatefulDBusProxy::uniqueNameFrom(): Failed to get unique name of "org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Connection.haze.facebook.xxxxxxxxxx_40gmail_2ecom"
mars 20 09:22:54 ubuntu-GP62-6QE org.kde.ktpcontactlist[2457]: tp-qt 0.9.8 WARN: error: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner" message: "Could not get owner of name 'org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Connection.haze.facebook.xxxxxxxxxx_40gmail_2ecom': no such name"
mars 20 09:22:54 ubuntu-GP62-6QE org.kde.ktpcontactlist[2457]: tp-qt 0.9.8 WARN: Nested PendingReady for true failed with "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner" : "Could not get owner of name 'org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Connection.haze.facebook.xxxxxxxxxx_40gmail_2ecom': no such name"
mars 20 09:22:54 ubuntu-GP62-6QE org.kde.ktpcontactlist[2457]: tp-qt 0.9.8 WARN: Building connection "/org/freedesktop/Telepathy/Connection/haze/facebook/xxxxxxxxxx_40gmail_2ecom" failed with "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner" - "Could not get owner of name 'org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Connection.haze.facebook.xxxxxxxxxx_40gmail_2ecom': no such name"

Result of mc-tool show:
Code: Select all
➜  ~ mc-tool show haze/facebook/xxxxxxxxxxx_40gmail_2ecom0
     Account: haze/facebook/xxxxxxxxxxxxx_40gmail_2ecom0
Display Name: xxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com
     Enabled: enabled
        Icon: im-facebook
    Connects: only when requested
     Service: facebook

Presences:
   Automatic: available (2) ""
     Current: offline (1) ""
   Requested: available (2) ""
    Changing: yes

(string) password = xxxxxxxxx
      (string) account = xxxxxxxxx@gmail.com
➜  ~
Hoth
Registered Member
OS

Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:50 pm
Yeah, it stopped working for me a while back too. Haven't found any solution.
djeremaille
Registered Member

Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:04 am
Thanks for the reply. So I can stop trying...