This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Calligra Author has been announced

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Calligra Author has been announced

Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:48 am
Welcome everybody to the Calligra Author forum. Calligra Author has just been announced: http://www.calligra.org/news/calligra-announces-author/

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Sundance Kid
Registered Member
OS
Very cool ! I can't wait to try it out ! I'm actually a little excited ;D
Arran
Registered Member
OS
Will that replace Sigil?

Best greetings from Scotland's nicest holiday island.
Kubuntu 18.04, 64 bits, Nvidia 4800GS, 8MB Ram, 4 core, HP Monitor 2550 x 1600 pixels.
ingwa
OS
Maybe, it's difficult to tell. As far as I understand it, Sigil is 100% about EPUB eBooks. It even goes so far that it lets you edit the xhtml contents. I assume that this form of tool has a limited market consisting of those that favour control of the output more than the actual contents. Normally this means a technical audience.

Calligra Author is more aimed at the actual *writer*, i.e. somebody who sees the text itself as the most important thing. We will very soon start the process of requiring feature requests and decide exactly what goes into the first version. It will depend on which type of writer will be most involved: tech writers, novelists, textbook authors, ... In the long run we will try to cover the whole writing process but that's still a long way into the future.
tushantin
Registered Member
OS
Hello! :D

I'm an artist and aspiring author, being a loyal user of Ubuntu. I've been helping the developer of Plume Creator the past month in polishing the interface and suggesting ideas in order to help make the tool become an indespensable tool for authors, especially since there aren't many creative writing toolsets for Linux platform. But by some stroke of luck, I've stumbled upon an announcement for Calligra Author at Planet Ubuntu, and decided to give this project as much support as possible to make sure Linux is one of the best platform for authors.

I'm mostly a designer and writer, rather than a developer, so the places I can help is mostly interfacing and fast productivity. In either case, I'm looking very forward to helping! (And hopefully we'll have the first version before November when NaNoWriMo starts!)
tushantin
Registered Member
OS
Just a quick question: Is Author a fork of Words with author-specific features? If so, what differences do you plan with Words in the future?

I'll write some specifics in a follow-up post in the Features thread. (Ah, for some reason I can't seem to delete my own post...)
Mamarok
Manager
OS
tushantin wrote:I'll write some specifics in a follow-up post in the Features thread. (Ah, for some reason I can't seem to delete my own post...)

Which one do you want to erase?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
tushantin
Registered Member
OS
Mamarok wrote:
tushantin wrote:I'll write some specifics in a follow-up post in the Features thread. (Ah, for some reason I can't seem to delete my own post...)

Which one do you want to erase?

The one you quoted; but no worries, I edited the post immediately and made it relevant. I was just wondering "how" to delete a post in case we don't need it anymore. :)
Cyril Jacquet
Registered Member
Hello !

I write stories when I can. Being on Linux for 7 years, I didn't want to switch on Win$$ or the white apple. Sadly, there was no real writing software on Linux like Scrivener or even yWriter. You can see here I'm not the only one seeing that : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=937963

So, as I'm an IT tech, I started to develop Plume Creator from scratch one year ago.
Yesterday, when tushantin sent me the announcement of Calligra Author, I was happy to see a great software in the making. :) I always liked Calligra / KOffice for its modern interface.

I was also surprised to see Plume Creator specified in the announcement. In the future, you would like to import writing projects from Plume. I would like to help you even if coding Plume keeps my hands full.
So, if you have questions on the structure of Plume savings or on other subjects concerning Plume, don't hesitate to ask me !
I'm eager to try Author in a few months !

Cordialement,
Cyril Jacquet
Christopher Fritz
Registered Member
OS
Not certain which thread I should post this in (or if a new one should be created), but is Author planning on going the "all files in a database" approach, or a "all files separate" approach? Personally, I like the latter (much like an programmer's IDE) as it would make it easy to modify files outside of Author.