This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

"dual booting" Amarok 2.0

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Finch
Registered Member

"dual booting" Amarok 2.0

Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:17 pm
Hello everybody,

I really like Amarok, but I'm just starting to use Linux and will continue to dual-boot Linux and Windows for quite a while...
That's why I'm increasingly looking for "cross platform" software and that's why I'm really looking forward to Amarok 2.0.

I expect many people will use it on dual boot systems and it would be really really great if I could use the same database on both systems!
As far as I know, this is not currently possible...
Could somebody please please make it possible? I guess some restrictions would apply (like using MySQL... maybe a single "library root"), but I can imagine several viable solutions that would not be completely generic, but relatively easy to implement...

I really wouldn't like to maintain two databases. And even if I do, the "recently played", "play count", ratings, favorites etc. would be completely messed up...
Being able to use one consistent database on both systems would be a really strong motivation to use Amarok.

What does everybody else think?
dangle_wtf

Re: "dual booting" Amarok 2.0

Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:54 pm
I doubt you'll be able to use your existing database with both versions of amarok. Throughout the 1.4 series, each update of Amarok has meant that downgrading to a previous version can give unpredictable behaviour, and as there should be significant improvements and changes to the database for amarok2, trying to use it with amarok 1.4 is likely to mean tears.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
Finch
Registered Member

Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:15 pm
dangle_wtf wrote:I doubt you'll be able to use your existing database with both versions of amarok. Throughout the 1.4 series, each update of Amarok has meant that downgrading to a previous version can give unpredictable behaviour, and as there should be significant improvements and changes to the database for amarok2, trying to use it with amarok 1.4 is likely to mean tears.

1.4?
Who said anything about 1.4?

I just want to share a database between the Linux and the Windows "instances" of Amarok 2.x... the obvious problem is the absolute path in the database. AFAIK, it now says: "If you want to share databases between machines, make sure the music collection is mounted under *exactly the same path* on all machines." well, this has never been a serious problem so far but can't be done for one Windows and one Linux instance so I was hoping (asking...) for a different solution. I could imagine many "nice" solutions with "virtual paths" or "relative paths" or something "patchy" like automatically "translating" something like "/mnt/M" or "/media/M" to "M:" and vice versa. The latter is not a nice solution but of course better than nothing...
dangle_wtf

Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:43 am
ah, misread :)

yeah it might be worth asking on the amarok mailing list - feedback form is on the amarok.org main page, or drop a line to amarok@kde.org

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"