This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Users who want Amarok on Windows now

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
eldowan
Registered Member
Recently I've heard of a distro called andLinux.

This is a distro that ports ubuntu over to windows 2000/xp and even has an installer that installs ubuntu with kde.
I've seen a few videos of people getting this to work, and even installing and playing music with amarok.

The apps run as if they were a native windows application.

Site:  www.andlinux.org
screen shot (large):  http://www.linux.com/var/uploads/Image/articles/131753-1.png
review: http://www.linux.com/feature/131753

No, I don't have anything to do with andLinux, nor do I have any vested interest with anyone there. I just think its a really cool implementation.
martin_b14
Registered Member
I just installed andLinux on my Windows XP to get Amarok playing, and it works great!!!

andLinux is a pretty cool tool and easy to setup.

Heres the steps:

In windows:
Install andLinux and makesure the windows filesystem root includes your music folder
Install mysql in Windows (im sure it will work as well if you install mysql in the andLinux terminal aswell)
Create database amarok
Create database user amarok
Grant amarok full access to amarok db

From the andLinux FLTK console:
apt-get update
apt-get install amarok libxine1-ffmpeg
amarokapp &

Now select engine MySql and insert your machine IP and amarok user and password
Finally selelect you musicfolder

Amarok scans your files and feeds the database and when everything is scanned you are ready to rok!

Last edited by martin_b14 on Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blåburk
Registered Member
But Windows has so many players already

On PC I use the Itunes ported from Mac. And (this is no yoke) Irfanview(it's ok for a few odd mp3:s)
dangle_wtf
So does linux - get over it. This thread is about people who prefer Amarok.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
dangle_wtf
martin_b14 wrote:
Install mysql in Windows (im sure it will work as well if you install mysql in the andLinux terminal aswell)
Create database amarok
Create database user amarok
Grant amarok full access to amarok db

Is there a particular reason you didn't use the internal sqlite database, or is this not part of the package?

If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
trengen
Registered Member

My friend,

Amorok has always been my favorite media player, but only in Linux.  It's exciting to know that it's possible to use it in Windows, but I am having difficulties to make it work for me.  I 've tried to follow your directions, but Amorok crashed when attempting to play music files.  I am sort of new to Linux, can you please give me more detail on how to set up Amorok and MySql database? 

Cheers!    : :wink:  :confused:
dangle_wtf
trengen wrote:

My friend,

Amorok has always been my favorite media player, but only in Linux.  It's exciting to know that it's possible to use it in Windows, but I am having difficulties to make it work for me.  I 've tried to follow your directions, but Amorok crashed when attempting to play music files.  I am sort of new to Linux, can you please give me more detail on how to set up Amorok and MySql database? 

Cheers!    : :wink:  :confused:

You can configure a mysql database for Amarok by following the instructions on the Amarok wiki - http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/MySQL_HowTo

nunka
Registered Member
trengen wrote:My friend,

To my knowledge, andLinux can only render sound via pulseaudio, so if you have any other output plugin selected in your Amarok configuration, it'll either crash or you won't be able to hear anything. So an incorrectly created database may not be your problem. Edit: I chose to use a sqlite database, which is much simpler and leaves much less room for error. So I'm not saying your database isn't the problem, just that it might not be.

Anyway, I've been using Amarok with andLinux for a few months now, and it works great. Of course, a few great features (global hotkeys, OSD when the program doesn't have focus, amazon.com cover searches, and a few Samba-related issues) just plain don't work, but that's entirely understandable considering this is a Linux program running natively on Windows. :P

The installation was a bit of a pain, but definitely worth it. This is more than enough to tide me over until Amarok 2.0 gets a public Windows build.

Last edited by nunka on Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boni
Registered Member
nunka wrote:Anyway, I've been using Amarok with andLinux for a few months now, and it works great. Of course, a few great features (global hotkeys, OSD when the program doesn't have focus, amazon.com cover searches, and a few Samba-related issues) just plain don't work, but that's entirely understandable considering this is a Linux program running natively on Windows. :P

Hello,
I use Amarok through andLinux myself for many months now, too. I developed my own Delphi program to make the media hotkeys work (however, they only will work on Logitech G15 Keyboards. It looks like this: http://img3.imagebanana.com/img/bufv350 ... ontrol.png ). I'm sure, you can get the media keys working if you modify this script: http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index ... opic=76230 and use andCmd.exe instead of a TCP Server.
Amazon.com works for me, as I upgraded my andLinux (at least the OS of it) to the newest Ubuntu version.

Good Luck
markey
KDE Developer
OS
FYI, there are now Amarok 2 SVN builds available for Windows. No need to use these hacks any more ;)

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
dangle_wtf
*hugs* markey![me=dangle_wtf]heads off to grab a build[/me]

Now we just need an OS X build :D

eazrael
Registered Member
Mark Kretschmann wrote:FYI, there are now Amarok 2 SVN builds available for Windows. No need to use these hacks any more ;)

For the curious and impatient, where can we find those builds? I haven´t found them on the site and in google.
sturd
Registered Member
windows.kde.org download the installer and have fun.
real_digger
Registered Member
sturd wrote:windows.kde.org download the installer and have fun.

Old Amarok 2 Tech Preview in kde package.
eazrael
Registered Member
Hm, i already wondered about the old builddate 20080211....