This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
Please use bugs.kde.org for bug reports or feature requests. Development related questions should be directed to the okular-devel mailing list.

new feature for storing annotations in pdfs doesn't work

Tags: okular okular okular
(comma "," separated)
zsaja
Registered Member
As advertised on the kde website, the okular version shipping with kde 4.9.0 is able to save annotations directly into the pdf file, a very welcome feature also for me :)

However, using the fresh kubuntu kde 4.9.0 packages from today, it doesn't work for me. When saving I get a notification that my annotations will not be saved in the pdf, I should use the document archive instead. :'( Why isn't it working? Do I have to update something else? Is there anybody out there who has a new okular with embedded annotations working? ???

Thanks
google01103
Manager
It works fine for me, when I annotate a pdf for the first time I get this message:
Your annotations are saved internally by Okular.
You can export the annotated document using File -> Export As -> Document Archive

because the annotations are saved separate from the actual pdf in ~/.kde[4]/share/apps/okular/actual_doc_name.pdf.xml if you try to save the pdf then you will get that message because your annotations are linked to the original pdf not to the saved doc. You do not have to save the doc for the annotations to be saved. Also if an annotated pdf is opened by a different user then the annotations are not seen.

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

zsaja
Registered Member
google01103 wrote:It works fine for me, when I annotate a pdf for the first time I get this message:
Your annotations are saved internally by Okular.
You can export the annotated document using File -> Export As -> Document Archive

because the annotations are saved separate from the actual pdf in ~/.kde[4]/share/apps/okular/actual_doc_name.pdf.xml if you try to save the pdf then you will get that message because your annotations are linked to the original pdf not to the saved doc. You do not have to save the doc for the annotations to be saved. Also if an annotated pdf is opened by a different user then the annotations are not seen.

This functionality also works for me. But from the kde site I understood it would now finally be possible to store the annotations directly in the pdf, so that I can send an annotated pdf via mail, or open it with a different viewer, and still have the annotations present. Can someone knowledgable about this please clarify if this should be possible in kde 4.9?
google01103
Manager
from the Okular faq
How can I annotate a document and send it to a friend/colleague/etc?

S
ince KDE 4.2, Okular has the "document archiving" feature. This is an Okular-specific format for carrying the document plus various metadata related to it (currently only annotations).
You can save a "document archive" from the open document by choosing "File -> Export As -> Document Archive".
To open an Okular document archive, just open it with Okular as it would be eg a PDF document.

zsaja
Registered Member
google01103 wrote:from the Okular faq
How can I annotate a document and send it to a friend/colleague/etc?

S
ince KDE 4.2, Okular has the "document archiving" feature. This is an Okular-specific format for carrying the document plus various metadata related to it (currently only annotations).
You can save a "document archive" from the open document by choosing "File -> Export As -> Document Archive".
To open an Okular document archive, just open it with Okular as it would be eg a PDF document.

Again, this works, and for some time already. I am asking about the apparant brand new feature of embedding your annotations directly into the pdf files, which should be availabel with kde 4.9, and probably not yet in the okular documentation. Browsing bugzilla I saw that maybe one also needs a recent enough poppler (>=0.20), which maybe at least kubuntu didn't pack into their kde 4.9 packages. Is that the reason?
zsaja
Registered Member
zsaja wrote:Again, this works, and for some time already. I am asking about the apparant brand new feature of embedding your annotations directly into the pdf files, which should be availabel with kde 4.9, and probably not yet in the okular documentation. Browsing bugzilla I saw that maybe one also needs a recent enough poppler (>=0.20), which maybe at least kubuntu didn't pack into their kde 4.9 packages. Is that the reason?

Ok I found it here: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=151614 comment #175-#177 explain that it is an outdated poppler on kubuntu that causes this.
google01103
Manager
so it appears poppler v 0.20 is required, obviously I also am not running it

from https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=151614 comment #165
It's already available in 4.9 beta 1 (poppler 0.20 is required).

> Are there extra files in the same folder or are they embedded in the
> documents (at least for pdf)?
User annotations are still automatically saved in Okular's internal folders as usual (*).
But now, if you press File -> Save As (it's availabe with PDF files only **), annotations are embedded in the saved document too (ie you can see/edit them in other readers). It's now also possible to edit existing embedded annotations.
For other formats (and PDF itself), there's still the option to export annotatated documents in .okular format (File -> Export As -> Document Archive) and share them with other Okular users.

* = Actually, automatic internal storage is disabled in some cases, and you need to save to PDF every time you make a change. But there are warnings and a "Save or discard changes?" prompt in place for that.
** = Poppler, the library we use to deal with PDF files, doesn't support modifying encrypted PDF files yet. If you open such a file, the "Save As" menu entry is grayed out and you are warned that you can only export as .okular file.

bcooksley
Administrator
OS
I have verified that this functions as expected (ie. annotations embedded within the PDF) on my KDE Trunk system, with Poppler built from source.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]