This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
Please use bugs.kde.org for bug reports or feature requests. Development related questions should be directed to the okular-devel mailing list.

why is okular extremely slow when rendering PDF files?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Geremia
Registered Member
tosky wrote:It allows to create annotations as any other backend, but it stores them on a local file and it does not allow to save them back on the PDF. Also, it does not read the annotations stored in the file.
Poppler allows saving annotations to the PDF? I thought it stored them in a local file, too.
thanks
tosky
Registered Member
Geremia wrote:
tosky wrote:It allows to create annotations as any other backend, but it stores them on a local file and it does not allow to save them back on the PDF. Also, it does not read the annotations stored in the file.
Poppler allows saving annotations to the PDF? I thought it stored them in a local file, too.
thanks

http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdegraphi ... tions.html ;)

tosky, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
ceefour
Registered Member
OS
Geremia wrote:
tosky wrote:if you could provide sample documents where poppler is slow, that could be really help developers.
Any one of these PDFs loads very slowly with Poppler.

Indeed, with Okular 0.19.1 some PDFs are still very slow.

By comparison, Chrome and Firefox mostly views PDFs faster than Okular.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Please note that it is the version of Poppler which is most relevant in these circumstances - as it is Poppler which actually renders the PDF files.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Geremia
Registered Member
It seems PDF/A files are what render very slowly in Okular. I know they're PDF/A because when I open them with Acrobat Reader, it gives me a message saying I am reading them in PDF/A mode. Acrobat Reader renders the images in the PDF pages progressively and also much faster than Okular.
pdf
Registered Member
bcooksley wrote:Please note that it is the version of Poppler which is most relevant in these circumstances - as it is Poppler which actually renders the PDF files.

I don't think just blaming Poppler is valid here. Both Okular and Evince use Poppler as a backend renderer, but Evince is lightning fast, whereas Okular is unusably slow.