This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
Please use bugs.kde.org for bug reports or feature requests. Development related questions should be directed to the okular-devel mailing list.

Insert/Paste Images into PDF

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
bzaidan
Registered Member
OS

Insert/Paste Images into PDF

Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:19 am
Hello all,

I seem to be unable to insert or paste images into Okular (0.26.1, Debian stretch), including ones selected via okular itself. Are there any plans to implement that?
j8a
Registered Member
OS

Re: Insert/Paste Images into PDF

Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:51 pm
Hi, bzaidan
I think that is not a fundamental issue because you can do it in linux with many other programs and utilities right now.
Try and search: How To linux insert images into pdf and you will be answered.
bzaidan
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:07 pm
Hey j8a,

thanks for your response. Of course, it is possible in other applications (like xournal), it was more of a question of if that is possible in Okular. We already can edit, annonate, etc, but certain editing features (such as this one) are not implemented. I'm sure you'd agree that it is impractical and unergonomic to edit in okular, save the file, open in xournal, paste the image, save again, close xournal, and reopen in okular again.

Given that this feature isn't supported in Okular, are there any possibilities of it being implemented in the future? If not, what are the contribution guidelines if I wish to implement it myself? Or is this not part of the intended design?

Happy hacking.
Anonymous Meerkat

Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:29 am
Hi,
2020 here and i cant seem to find a way to do it either.
I agree with OP. Okular is great, but it lacks some features (fundamental in my eyes).
Obviously it will be ideal to have 1 program that handles all needs of a user.
I can see the replier point of view in a sense that the more complex and specifc features doesnt necesarily have to be implemented in this program, however paste an image is basic usage of pdf editor.

OP tell me if you were able to implement the feature yourself. I will gladly help with anything i can, though i've never done anything like that.
koffeinfriedhof
Registered Member
OS

Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:53 pm
Okular is a document viewer, not an editor. So this should be done with another application as the unix philosophy told us.
Make each program do one thing well. To do a new job, build afresh rather than complicate old programs by adding new "features".
kandy
Registered Member
OS

Sat May 15, 2021 10:47 am
koffeinfriedhof wrote:Okular is a document viewer, not an editor. So this should be done with another application as the unix philosophy told us.
Make each program do one thing well. To do a new job, build afresh rather than complicate old programs by adding new "features".

I do agree with what you said, but today (in 2021) I felt the need to attach images in pdf. I don't have a word file so I have the need to edit it in PDF directly. No other tool will necessarily provide feature related to it and it must be provided with PDF reader software like okular. if editing of PDFs must not be allowed in PDF reader software then including annotations too in PDF readers make no sense. Let's say that we are dealing with PDFs so Okular must provide features that are related to PDF reading and editing. it's beneficial and very necessary, it must be worked upon sooner if it hasn't been implemented yet already. Downloading a new Tool that you are unfamiliar with, just to perform a task as simple as inserting images in PDF is highly unreasonable. if that's the case the user would rather switch to adobe reader rather than using okular. it's such a small functionality or feature that in most of the cases won't even be counted as a "new feature". because it's already very similar to how annotations work in okular.
koffeinfriedhof
Registered Member
OS

Sun May 16, 2021 8:15 pm
kandy wrote:I do agree with what you said, but today (in 2021) I felt the need to attach images in pdf. I don't have a word file so I have the need to edit it in PDF directly.

That depends on the PDF. Basically it is an container format which can contain images and/or text. PDF/A(number) is an archive file format and should not be edited or even editable.
To have a tool that can handle all implemented files and fileformats it would be a big software-suit and not a viewer anymore.
Merging an image into an existing PDF-File is possible with some image-tools like ImageMagick (or gimp?) that can handle this.

Commenting is often done outside of the PDF itself in XML. So that is a separate file or at least a separate block which will not destroy the original file. Perhaps there are some users that can give more information about how to handle your usage of PDF. For me it is a read-only-file by design an I just use it as an archive format. There are tools like the Master PDF Editor which will work in Linux too, but I do not know if they can handle all different types of PDF.