This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
Please use bugs.kde.org for bug reports or feature requests. Development related questions should be directed to the okular-devel mailing list.

Making okular select text by default

Tags: okular okular okular
(comma "," separated)
musonio
Registered Member
OS
This is my first post, so the first thing I feel obliged to do is to congratulate KDE devs on the terrific job they are doing. I always thought KDE3 was absolutely perfect in every way, but KDE4 is on its way to make KDE3 look like a dinosaur. THANKS.

My question is: Is there a way to make okular activate the "select text" tool by default?

(I've looked at all the options and googled around but I couldn't find hints on ho to do it.)
musonio
Registered Member
OS
Any news on this?
google01103
Manager
you could post on the brainstorm forum suggesting this a future enhancement

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

musonio
Registered Member
OS
I'll do that. I thought that the brainstorm section was meant for more revolutionary ideas and concepts, not just fetaures request.
Thanks.
google01103
Manager
you could make your idea a bit more generic and request that any view mode or tool be allowed to have focus when Okular opens

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

john_hudson
Registered Member
OS
I suspect that one reason for the apparent lack of interest is that few people expect to use the Selection tool every time they use Okular. Of course, if you use Okular regularly in a particular way, the option for it to open every time in a particular mode would be helpful. But, given that Okular is a multi-purpose tool, I wonder how many people consistently use it in the same way.

John Hudson, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
musonio
Registered Member
OS
In my personal opinion, Konqueror's greatness has always been its extreme configurability and KDE3 got me somehow used to that.
I know that text selection may not be the desired choice for everybody as a default, that's precisely ahy I was suggesting (not demanding or anything of the sort) that it be incorporated as a "choice" in the preferences for the user to decide.
After all, isn't that one of the flags that linux developers often raise, i.e., freedom to choose?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
When I used Okular, if you held down then selected the Select Text tool, it would remain at that setting until you either closed Okular or changed back to the area selector.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
musonio
Registered Member
OS
Does anyone know if this is going to be implemented some day?
I am getting tired of evince (extremely ugly, by the way, in a kde environment).
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Has a feature request been filed on bugs.kde.org regarding this?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
musonio
Registered Member
OS
I haven't personally filed any requests, but I remember there was one very similar to this.
Parkotron
Registered Member
OS
As of KDE SC4.9, Okular now stores the mouse mode between sessions. So if you always use text selection mode (as I do), that's what it'll default to the next time you launch Okular.

See https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/104147/