This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.
Please use bugs.kde.org for bug reports or feature requests. Development related questions should be directed to the okular-devel mailing list.

Okular

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
triplemaya
Registered Member

Okular

Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:42 pm
Hi. I love okular to use. But EVERY SINGLE TIME I open a new document I have to set it to best fit page - for which there is not even a single keyboard shortcut. And I can find no way to set this in the settings. And EVERY SINGLE TIME I have to hit tools text selection tool, or Ctrl 4, because my objective pretty much every time is to copy some text to quote. I would be so happy if there was a way to set these settings, even if I have to delve into a defaults file of some kind. The Gnome pdf viewer seems to learn, but this one does not. Can any one tell me the answer?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: Okular

Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:05 am
Have you checked in Okular > Configure Shortcuts to see if you can set a shortcut?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
lueck
Mentor

Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:46 am
Okular in 4.8

General page in settings dialog:

Default Zoom:
Defines the default zoom mode for files which were never opened before.
For files which were opened before the previous zoom is applied.
gekapes
Registered Member
OS

Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:41 pm
Dear developers!
Could you add in future more tools to okular, as a good pdf-editor is really missing in linux environment.
Examples of really needed functions:
1. Merging and splitting of pdf-documents, reordering pages:
Tools like PDF Chain or PDF Mod offer such functions, however very often they can not read some types of PDF-documents, which makes them only partly usable.
2. PDF compression
The feature is offered by PDF Chain, however, as mentioned before, it does not read some types of documents.
3. PDF editing
You have already implemented a lot of useful editing tools, but some like text editing functions are really missing.
Example: it's very convenient to fill in the forms and questionnaires in pdf-format on the PC. In windows I have used PDF-XChange Viewer and Nitro PDF Professional (the best and ideal pdf-editor in my opinion), however in Linux such things are missing. PDF Editor is working really bad and is not user-friendly....
The availability of a good pdf-editor prevents many of my friends to move to Ubuntu, as switching between Windows and Linux nerves and takes time..
Minio
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:57 am
gekapes:
you should post your ideas to Brainstorm (there is "Post new idea" button below categories). Please note that one idea should go to one thread.

I would definitely vote for 3. As for 1 and 2, I believe you can use pdftk for these.

Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski
gekapes
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:39 pm
Minio:
thanks for the tip with Brainstorm and URL! I will post it there later ;)
I have just checked the "pdftk" - it's actually PDF Chain, which I tried to use for the points 1 and 2 (splitting, merging and compression of the documents). pdftk (PDF Chain) is a good tool for this, but, as I mentioned, it sometimes does not read all pdf types. And that's a pity, cause I had to turn to my neighbour, who is using windows. I'll try also to write the guys from pdftk about the issue :)
CEN
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:28 am
I am Using Okular as a chm reader under Linux Ubuntu 14.10 with a Lenovo Yoga 3 as the display which is wider than normal, around 3200 pixels plus, I need to use quite large zoom to see the characters correctly , when I use 400% all the charachters dis-appear . As I am only using the VESA driver under Ubuntu (Nothing else works yet) Not sure if it is an issue with the Intel 5300 chipset yet . No other apps seem to do this with larger zooms that I have seem . Does anyone else have the same issue at 400% zoom . I also find an Okular Icon is left in the corner when the text dis-appears . Long term user of Okular . Just love it. The ability to refer external document bookmarks is a real time saver .

Good work guys , just need to get it all working on my bleeding edge lenovo :P
google01103
Manager

Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:45 am
@ CEN please start a new thread with an appropriate title, appending to a 2012 thread that is not related is not good practice and may be ignored.

Do you have this issue with pdf files also or just chm?

Have you posted on the Ubuntu forums about your need to run VESA?

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x