This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Cannot see text inside tooltips

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
pizzipie
Registered Member

Cannot see text inside tooltips

Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:23 pm
Is there a way to change the background color on the tooltips. The tooltips on my installation 5.5.0 are (i think) white on yellow background. I am brand new to digikam and can't find how to change this. It's hard to even come up with the right questions to ask at this point.

PS: I did find Items Tool-Tip Settings
Customize information in item tool-tips
but there is no way to change the font colors
Thanks,

R
DeMus
Registered Member

Re: Cannot see text inside tooltips

Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:46 pm
Hi, try this, it worked for me in The Gimp:

Open KDE system settings
Open colors
At the bottom of the window you find a checkbox with text: Apply colors to non Qt- applications
Uncheck that box and reopen Digikam. Now that I write this, it could be that Digikam is Qt so then it won't work.
Just give it a try and if it doesn't work you can choose to check the box again or leave it as it is, cause as I wrote it does work in Gimp.
pizzipie
Registered Member

Wed May 03, 2017 4:39 pm
hi,

I haven't replied as I couldn't find my way back to this forum. Stupid but used kde identity instead of user name.

Anyway - I am using Ubuntu MATE 16.04 which uses gnome. I don't have KDE System settings.
I am trying to run "digikam" and can't see any of the tooltip information because of yellow background and white letters.

Thanks for yor help.

R
kdegnomexc
Registered Member

Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:20 pm
pizzipie wrote:hi,

I haven't replied as I couldn't find my way back to this forum. Stupid but used kde identity instead of user name.

Anyway - I am using Ubuntu MATE 16.04 which uses gnome. I don't have KDE System settings.
I am trying to run "digikam" and can't see any of the tooltip information because of yellow background and white letters.

Thanks for yor help.

R

Ditto for me. Running Kdenlive in Linux Mint. Cannot see how to change color of lettering of tooltips to black, or background to a dark color. Would someone please reply with a solution.
fosterairborne
Registered Member

Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:56 am
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=368799 has a fix

Relevant part

" Jean-Baptiste Mardelle 2016-09-18 10:05:22 UTC
The GTK+ style is poorly supported because it does not allow customizing colors. You can however solve the issue by installing the "gnome-color-chooser" package. Open the application, and under the "Specific" tab, you have an option to force Tooltips colors. In my tests, changing Foreground color does nothing, but you can set the background color to something dark and it fixes the kdenlive tooltips."

I am using Mint and I found that changing foreground had no effect but changed background to black and it worked.
manfredgru
Registered Member

Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:20 pm
Thank you, fosterairborne, this was helping me a lot!
(running kdenlive on Mint)
Manfred