This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[SOLVED] Digikam configuration file and collection trouble

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
werdigo49
Registered Member
OS
Using Kubuntu 16.04: Until recently all my photographs were on an old 250G hard disk and Digikam (4.12.0) was set up for that. (Digikam itself is installed on my new SSD primary disk.) But I copied all of the photos to a new data disk (and the digikam4.db file) and removed that old disk from use. I am now unable to access my albums and photos --- I suppose Digikam is looking for the old hard disk.

When I start Digikam I get a banner message saying "No album library path has been found in the configuration file. Giving up the schema updating process. Please try with an empty database, or repair your configuration."

If I let Digikam open, with a Welcome screen, then use Settings to point the "database file path" to the new media /Photographs folder (using SQLite), and try to Add a Local Collection in the same place (/media/user/Newdisk/Photographs), clicking a couple of OK's produces "It was not possible to add a collection for the following paths: /media/user/Newdisk/Photographs."

Can anyone help? The problem must have something to do my attempt to move from the old to the new hard disk.

[Sorry --- this should be in the Digikam subforum. I'll know better the next time...]

Last edited by werdigo49 on Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
werdigo49
Registered Member
OS
OK --- looking better this morning. I deleted (moved, actually) all of the digikam.db files from the location of the photographs, and restarted Digikam. It accepted my specification of the location of the collection, and (apparently) began looking for/at the photos there. Three dots on the welcome screen were sequentially blinking when I finally went to bed.

This morning all of my albums are visible and it looks as if my metadata and SOME OF captions/tags were preserved. I must not have written all that information to the images.

Is there a way to get captions and titles back, from the old digikam4.db file?