This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Add Network Collection problem

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ianp5a
Registered Member

Add Network Collection problem

Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:40 pm
I'm trying to add a collection of pictures stored on my NAS attached to my home router. The pictures can be seen in a share and opened on Dolphin OK
I have 2 problems:
1) The Digikam Add network Collection command (in Settings-Configure) does not show networks in its file browser.
2) I enter the address copied from Dolphin and I get the error message "Directory not Found"
This is the address I copied from Dolphin 'smb://192.168.178.50/Ian/a Pictures/'

Is there another address or way to add a network Collection? Is this feature working? Do I need to do anything on the NAS?

Ideally the File browser in the Add Network Collection command should show all network shares. The file browser shows exactly the same folders and the "Add Local Collections" command. Something is wrong there surely?

I am using digiKam Version 6.2.0 on KDE Neon 5.16
The NAS is a WD 4TB MyCloud off the shelf device attached to the home router. And shares are accessible in Linux and Android.

Thanks.
ianp5a
Registered Member

Re: Add Network Collection problem

Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:32 am
Can I assume this is a defect? If so I'll report a bug.
tomva
Registered Member

Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:20 pm
Hello

I have just encountered the exact same issue. Did you ever find a solution for this problem?
Thanks.
ianp5a
Registered Member

Sun May 15, 2022 12:09 pm
No. It's still not possible in Kubunti 22.04.
This seems to be a general problem with KDE that apps cant access the network. I had hoped they would have fixed it by now.
claydoh
Registered Member
OS

Sun May 29, 2022 7:55 pm
ianp5a wrote:No. It's still not possible in Kubunti 22.04.
This seems to be a general problem with KDE that apps cant access the network. I had hoped they would have fixed it by now.

Digikam by default uses the Qt file picker which doesn't have KDE's KIO features, but this can be changed.

Settings>> Configure Digikam >> Miscellaneous >> Appearance >> Use Native File Dialog from System
This was added a long time ago, but is easily missed, unfortunately.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=385280

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
ianp5a
Registered Member

Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:25 pm
claydoh wrote:
ianp5a wrote:No. It's still not possible in Kubunti 22.04.

Digikam by default uses the Qt file picker which doesn't have KDE's KIO features, but this can be changed.
Settings>> Configure Digikam >> Miscellaneous >> Appearance >> Use Native File Dialog from System
This was added a long time ago, but is easily missed, unfortunately.
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=385280

Thanks claydoh. I used your tip to change File selector and selected a network share, but Digikam didn't like the address saying: "Problem adding collection. You need to locally mount your Samba share. Sorry. DigiKam does not currently support smb:// URLs"

So I'm stuck again.
It's a similar problem to Elisa music player. It lets you select on the network, but does not use the path returned.