This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Where do "Move To Trash" files go?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
foliographic
Registered Member

Where do "Move To Trash" files go?

Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:27 am
Been wondering if the files I've been getting rid of are actually being moved to a trash file somewhere or if they are being deleted? They are NOT going into my windows trash bin so I'm confused. If they are being deleted completely, that's great, just want to know so that if they are actually being moved to a trash folder, I can go there and get rid of them and free up wasted space on my drives.
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
EDIT: obviously I need to wear my glasses when reading the forum on mobile. I did miss which subforum this was in. Apologies!

If you use the delete option, then they are deleted.
If you use the trash option, they do go to the trash.

The physical location of the Trash is: ~/.local/share/Trash
Note the two different directories in that folder. One is for the files, the other has corresponding files that have info about where the files were, originally etc.

Emptying the trash via the icon right-click will delete all files from both locations. Opening Trash via the icon, and manually deleting files from there will also delete things from both locations.

If files are manually deleted from the physical trash location (~/.local/share/Trash/files) , they will still show up in the file manager's trash if the corresponding file in ~/.local/share/Trash/info is also not removed.

Last edited by claydoh on Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
Section_8
Registered Member
OS
In digikam, there is a "Trash" album that contains deleted pictures. If you view that album, there is a delete button that gives you the option of permanently deleting everything in the trash.

For me - on linux - the digikam trash folder is (user's picture folder)/.dtrash/files, although there is an associated info folder, so deleting files directly in that folder might cause problems with digikam.
foliographic
Registered Member
Thank you both! That's perfect.