This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Dolphin RAW thumbs for pef and others

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mmickey
Registered Member
OS
Hi folks,

since I'm developping with qt and using digikam, I thought of moving to KDE. Of course I want RAW thumbnails in dolphin, to make sorting and so easy...
Unforunatelly I don't get thumbs for my PENTAX pef files, mime type is pentax-pef-raw.
After some testing and reading it seems that there should be a raw plugin in the thumbnails directory, but I don't have this (digikam is installed). Checking with other RAW files, I found that NIKON nefs are the only ones that work...
So, any ideas what I could do about this?

greets mike
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
As I understand, only some RAW formats are supported at this time. If you can find documentation for your PENTAX format, and file a wish at bugs.kde.org with a link to them attached, it should be implementable by them.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
mmickey
Registered Member
OS
Thank you for your response.

What kind of documentation. The most RAW formats (all I know of) are readable by dcraw and exiv2, one extracts the builtin preview, rotates/flips to the given orientation and scales this down... So it should be one for all...
Any idea where to get this RAW thumbnail plugin for dolphin, where others (also here in this forum) talk about?

greets mickey
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
You may need to alter the configuration of Dolphin. Ensure RAW is enabled and your images are smaller than the maximum size limit specified.

Dolphin > Settings > Configure Dolphin > General > Previews.

KDE Sysadmin
mmickey
Registered Member
OS
That is exactly my problem, there is no "RAW" setting which I could enable. The filesize is set to 30MB...

greets mike
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
In Dolphin > Settings > Configure Dolphin > General > Previews, look for "RAW Photo Camera Previews" and enable it.

You may possibly need to install Digikam to get this feature.

KDE Sysadmin
mmickey
Registered Member
OS
Digikam, Kipi-plugins and Showfoto are installed, like I wrote in my first post... And there is no such RAW option in the previews tab...

Which file on disk should be responsible for it, or which folder...
any other ideas?

greets mike
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
You should have the following file(s):

Code: Select all
/usr/share/kde4/services/rawthumbnail.desktop
/usr/lib/kde4/rawthumbnail.so

It claims to be able to handle the following mimetypes:

image/x-canon-cr2;image/x-canon-crw;image/x-nikon-nef;image/x-adobe-dng;image/x-kodak-dcr;image/x-kodak-k25;image/x-kodak-kdc;image/x-olympus-orf;image/x-sony-arw;image/x-sony-sr2;image/x-sony-srf;image/x-fuji-raf;image/x-minolta-mrw;image/x-panasonic-raw;image/x-pentax-pef;image/x-sigma-x3f;image/x-kde-raw;

KDE Sysadmin
mmickey
Registered Member
OS
So with the filenames it was easy.

kdegraphics-strigi-plugins does the trick on ubuntu.

thanks for your help.

greets mike
Txema
Registered Member
OS
I can't get this to work on gentoo, do you know what package provides those files?

/usr/share/kde4/services/rawthumbnail.desktop
/usr/lib/kde4/rawthumbnail.so
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
The *.desktop file is located at kdegraphics/thumbnailers/raw in KDE releases. I would therefore recommend ensuring that kdegraphics is installed.

KDE Sysadmin
Txema
Registered Member
OS
Yes, it was thumbnailers that was missing in my installation.

In the description it sais "KDE 4 thumbnail generators for PDF/PS files" and so i thought that it was only for PDF files ^^"

Thanks ;)