This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Generate large number of title clips (i.e. subtitles)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dode
Registered Member
OS
I had the requirement to create a large number of title clips for "hard" subtitles and hacked together a command line utility to generate them from a text file.

Is there some interest here in a tool like that? If yes, I'd put some effort in making it more reusable and maybe add a GUI.

Torsten
ttguy
OS
The topic of subtitles comes up every now and again in kdenlive forums. I usually suggest people look else where for a tool that is specifically designed for adding subtitles. There are a few OS tools to do this. And they offer the ability to hard or soft encode the subtitles. And they allow you to do usefull stuff like insert or subtract time between subs. Give you stats on the characters per second you are setting people up to have to try and read etc etc. ie these tools are probably going to be much better at the subtitling task than your script. This is because writing subtitles is a bit of art meets science.

But this should not stop you from developing it if you want.
dode
Registered Member
OS
You are right in what you are saying - and I didn't have the intention to create some clumsy subtitle rendering tool.

I started to use title clips because the original language subtitles were actually images. For a translated version, I created a font resembling the script, and again used title clips.
It is probably tedious to create subtitles with title clips, but it is also very flexible, and it is easy to position them individually.

The idea behind the tool was more to automate title clip creation (and maybe similar tasks) but I guess there is not much need for it and most people are better off using subtitle rendering tools as you mention.