This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Keyframes -> spline based interpolation ?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
streumix
Registered Member
Hi,

how about spline based interpolation between keyframes ?

The current linear interpolation gives very poor results, especially when it
comes to any sort of motion (Ken Burns effect, etc.). This is mainly caused by
the non-continuously differentiable nature of piece-wiese linear defined functions.
In terms of motion, we end up with infinite peaks of acceleration at the individual
keyframes and end up with obviously jerky camara movement.

In other tools like cinelerra, a spline based interpolation is default and picewise
line has to be activated intentionally. Consequently, the results of any keyframe action
is way smoother.

I'd vote for a spline based keyframe system in Kdenlive, giving it highest priority.
What do the main devolopers think ?
Is there any work in progress improving the keyframe system ?

By the way: Is there a central keyframe framework re-used by all effects, or are keyframes
handled by the effects and transitions individually ? (I hope not ....)

Regards,
Toby

jjfro
Registered Member
OS
Here's another vote for this feature. I had not heard this term before or that it was available in other FOSS applications but I've posted elsewhere on this forum about my desire to see improvements in the smoothness of pans and zooms. I hope it can be included in Kdenlive in the future.
gab3d
Registered Member
f_random
Registered Member
f_random
Registered Member
swer
Registered Member
dbjb
Registered Member
j-b-m
Registered Member
This feature needs to be implemented in MLT, our video framework. Currently, keyframes in MLT only allow linear interpolation, so we cannot have better in Kdenlive. Improved keyframes are on MLT's roadmap ( http://www.mltframework.org/bin/view/MLT/ToDo - called PropertyAnimation), but Dan Dennedy - MLT's maintainer - is currently busy working on some core parts of MLT, so I don't know when he will have time for this.

But for sure this is a necessary feature.