This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Lightworks vs. Kdenlive

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
KoRnholio8
Registered Member

Lightworks vs. Kdenlive

Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:13 pm
Lightworks is going to become freely available this year and it supposed to be very good. I took a look at the feature list (http://www.editshare.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=159&Itemid=204) for it, but couldn't really find anything that important, that would be missing from Kdenlive.

Can someone enlighten me to what exactly make Lightworks so good?

animationista
Registered Member
OS

Re: Lightworks vs. Kdenlive

Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:35 am
Stability.
Works tightly integrated with other commercial apps like AfterEffects and Final Cut.
Reliability when working with different standards like film or different broadcasting formats.
Stability, reliability, standards.

It may not be important if you work with your own small project but when working in a production pipeline, together with other people, Kdenlive won't have much to put up against apps like this.
gab3d
Registered Member

Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:53 pm
I think it could be of interest mainly to dissect it and extract some good/quality methods of doing things.
It seems to be Windows only at the moment and with a horrible interface, by the way.
I don't think it will attract the masses...
animationista
Registered Member
OS

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:06 am
Well, it's not targeted towards the masses. Neither is Blender-NLE or Cinelerra.
Kdenlive and OpenShot is much more so.
arthursucks
Registered Member

Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:00 am
I don't want to put a damper on anyone but as far as I am concerned, until they release some source code it might as well be vaporware. Even then, a lot of these application never come to be. For example, I heard about Lumiera before I heard of Kdenlive and it's still not usable and Kdenlive has matured beautifully.
gab3d
Registered Member

Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:16 am
Then it should be targeted to an audience who likes to do simple things complicated, and who likes to do so with such an ugly interface, I suppose. ;)
lorenzo_drupal
Registered Member

Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:25 pm
Kdenlive at moment is the powerful editing software for linux.
I happy to use kdenlive for my projects, but for television i use premiere or avid with the hardware for realtime.
A software is good when is ok for us works so welcome all software.

But, I think that Lumiera is a very slowly project.
Lightworks is for windows only, Cinelerra crash even.

If we send good idea to kdenlive team this software to be numer one

Weevil
Registered Member

Thu May 16, 2013 7:50 pm
Are you (planning to) making money with videos? No worries it's good to know several different pieces of software I think... Feel free to share some good ideas from Lightwave with us here on the forums :)

DiveO
Registered Member

Thu May 16, 2013 7:57 pm
I can assure you that real "professionals" don't judge you by your tools but by your results. At least not the professional professionals. If you think that kdenlive doesn't give you the required professional touch you may be in for a big, nasty surprise. Maybe some day, someone might tell you.

I'm not a professional by any means and I don't try to emulate one, not with tools, not by attitude. I'm using camera equipment every sane person would declare as total wrong tool for the job: GoPro's HD Hero 3 Blackies. Yet people like my videos, the way I'm showing them things from under water, the way I'm keeping the image stable despite having no stabilizer. And I'm using the wrong editor according to your scale: kdenlive. Yet people don't care, asking me all the time whether I'm a professional which I always decline.

I can assure you: people aren't judging you by your tools, but by what you achieve.
Weevil
Registered Member

Fri May 17, 2013 4:42 pm
Anyone who wants to survive in a professional video-editing environment better stay away from Kdenlive. This is just a very cool open source initiative with a promising future. And will probably remain that way if you ask me.

If you like the ideology and enjoy working with/creating free legal open software you're in the right place!

farid
Registered Member
OS

Fri May 17, 2013 4:58 pm
@weevil

i consider myself a professional videomaker and i will stick with kdenlive :)

of course i know alot of its flaws but it will get there eventually. for me it is the only floss solution avaiable at the moment (at least until novacut or lumiera get released) or they release lightworks under a gpl compatible license.

cheers.

Weevil
Registered Member

Fri May 17, 2013 5:23 pm
Just saw your blog farid, got to say I'm impressed! Still, the TV-stations where I worked as editor you wouldn't be anywhere without Avid/Final Cut. Much respect for what your Estudio Gunga is doing.

kdenlivamee
Registered Member

Mon May 20, 2013 4:16 pm
I tried lightworks beta on ubuntu -its useless for me -its too clumsy and slow in my opinion and where are the effects??? Not many. Kdenlive is so quick and easy especially cutting and moving etc.
kdenlivamee
Registered Member

Mon May 20, 2013 4:17 pm
I totally agree.
DiveO
Registered Member

Mon May 20, 2013 7:00 pm
@Weevil: true, I would also have assumed so. I am under the impression that pelus was referring to freelance work, where I as a customer would judge by the result, not by the tools.