This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Crash on loading a project

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
bobtheboulder
Registered Member

Crash on loading a project

Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:54 pm
Hello

I am discouraged after one week working on my first project. I used to save it on one project file and everything was ok. I even started to render some great results. But today, I saved it under a different file name to configure it to a different output scheme (720p to HD 1080p).

It crashed down on this second version, I was horrified when seeing that none of the versions can be opened now by kdenlive... !!

I deleted the configure file (.kde/share/config/kdenliverc), but still cant open my project file. Doing the job again from scratch is just heartbreaking me.

Old version console history:

hurtut@laptop:~$ kdenlive&
[1] 2446
hurtut@laptop:~$ File given: true
Color mode changed to 0
File given: true
QWidget::insertAction: Attempt to insert null action
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/kde4/kio_trash.so
kio_trash(2470)/kdecore (services) KMimeTypeFactory::parseMagic: Now parsing "/usr/share/mime/magic"
kio_trash(2470)/kdecore (services) KMimeTypeFactory::parseMagic: Now parsing "/home/hurtut/.local/share/mime/magic"
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kbuildsycoca4.so
(1884)/ KStartupInfo::createNewStartupId: creating: "hurtut-laptop;1300822995;275926;1884_TIME0" : "unnamed app"
kbuildsycoca4 running...
kbuildsycoca4(2471) VFolderMenu::loadDoc: Parse error in "/home/hurtut/.config/menus/applications-merged/xdg-desktop-menu-dummy.menu" , line 1 , col 1 : "unexpected end of file"
*** glibc detected *** kdenlive: double free or corruption (fasttop): 0x09fe9678 ***
*** glibc detected *** kdenlive: double free or corruption (fasttop): 0xb4900dd8 ***
*** glibc detected *** kdenlive: double free or corruption (fasttop): 0xb4f0ed50 ***
======= Backtrace: =========
/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(+0x6b591)[0x33a6591]
/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(+0x6cde8)[0x33a7de8]
/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(cfree+0x6d)[0x33aaecd]
/usr/lib/libmlt.so.2(mlt_property_set_string+0xcb)[0x61e22b]
[0x1e]
[0x70303830]
======= Memory map: ========
[...]

Second version of the project opening crash console :

hurtut@laptop:~$ kdenlive
Color mode changed to 0
kio_trash(2543)/kdecore (services) KMimeTypeFactory::parseMagic: Now parsing "/usr/share/mime/magic"
kio_trash(2543)/kdecore (services) KMimeTypeFactory::parseMagic: Now parsing "/home/hurtut/.local/share/mime/magic"
[h264 @ 0xb3f4b1a0]B picture before any references, skipping
[h264 @ 0xb3f4b1a0]decode_slice_header error
[h264 @ 0xb3f4b1a0]no frame!
[h264 @ 0xb3f4b1a0]B picture before any references, skipping
[h264 @ 0xb3f4b1a0]decode_slice_header error
[h264 @ 0xb3f4b1a0]no frame!
KCrash: Application 'kdenlive' crashing...
sock_file=/home/hurtut/.kde/socket-hurtut-laptop/kdeinit4__0
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/drkonqi
[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0xfd83230]stream 0, offset 0x30bb2c0: partial file
: Fatal IO error 9 (Mauvais descripteur de fichier) on X server :0.0.
Unable to start Dr. Konqi
hurtut@hurtut-laptop:~$ drkonqi(2575): The specified process does not exist.

Does anyone has an idea ?

Bob
geoffrey
Registered Member

Re: Crash on loading a project

Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:31 pm
Could you please provide more information about your system and versions of programs. what version of kdenlive and mlt? How was it installed? was it upgraded from a prior version? OS version? File type you are using as input? Any other special circumstances. The more the better. With this information someone might have some ideas on how to help. Thanks.

bobtheboulder
Registered Member

Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:42 am
Hi

I'm using

Ubuntu 10.04
kdenlive 0.7.8 (kde platform 4.4.5), not upgraded from a previous version
installed via ppa.launchpad.net/sunab/kdenlive-release/ubuntu

My project is mainly based on high-resolution photos (doing a diaporama) with a two wav soundtracks, plus one piece of small video somewhere.

Special circumtances:

as I said, i was used to saving this project under a file name (let say project1) at one location and everything was doing good since one week. Yesterday, willing to change the configure to a higher resolution (HD 1080p), I saved it under a different file name (project2), BUT at the same location (is this a problem ? shared file and rep ?). And started to work with it. It went good during a few hours, save/edit loop that new project, render it etc. But never closed it.

At that point, I had a power shortcut. When restarting, kdenlive refused to open project2 ("end of file unexpected"). I opened again project1, saved it again to project3, reconfigured it to 1080p HD, saved, closed.

As I wanted to do quality benchmarks on a smaller timelined project, I reopened project3 and saved it to project3_cut. And started to delete in the timeline everything after 10th seconds in it. A problem appeared doing that, kdenlive refused to delete from the timeline 2 or 3 three clip (photo and pieces of sound) among the around 50 elements that were in the timeline after 10th seconds..

Doing that quite quickly (suppr key repetedly), I figured that maybe kdenlive did indeed deleted it, but still printing these 2/3 pieces on the timeline, he didnot know quite to do. So I closed the project, hoping that it will "refresh" somehow when opening it again.

And there, at that point, kdenlive refused to open all my projects, project3_cut (crashes), project3 (crashes) and project1 (crashes).

Thanks a lot
Bob
bobtheboulder
Registered Member

Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:30 pm
Hi again

The verbose when loading project1 is now a little bit different/shorter:

hurtut@hurtut-laptop:~$ kdenlive
Color mode changed to 0
kio_trash(6114)/kdecore (services) KMimeTypeFactory::parseMagic: Now parsing "/usr/share/mime/magic"
kio_trash(6114)/kdecore (services) KMimeTypeFactory::parseMagic: Now parsing "/home/hurtut/.local/share/mime/magic"
knotify(2216) KNotify::event: 10 ref= 0
KCrash: Application 'kdenlive' crashing...
sock_file=/home/hurtut/.kde/socket-hurtut-laptop/kdeinit4__0
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/drkonqi
[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0xbc070e0]stream 0, offset 0x3ab942: partial file
geoffrey
Registered Member

Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:01 am
I assume you've re-booted? What do you mean by power shortcut?

I can tell you that I use kdenlive/mlt svn versions on Fedora 14 and it is very stable. Maybe the Ubuntu version is a little too old and/or something wrong with your repository package?

You might also want to try filing a bug report and getting a full backtrace.

Sorry - I've got no good ideas.

ddennedy
Registered Member

Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:01 am
Can you play any of the projects with 'melt' in a terminal window?

bobtheboulder
Registered Member

Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:44 pm
Thanks for your answers.

It plays quite well with melt (sound is a little jitty sometimes)
except near the end (where the small piece of video starts) where it displays in the terminal:

[h264 @ 0xa4617d80]B picture before any references, skipping
[h264 @ 0xa4617d80]decode_slice_header error
[h264 @ 0xa4617d80]no frame!
[h264 @ 0xa4617d80]B picture before any references, skipping
[h264 @ 0xa4617d80]decode_slice_header error
[h264 @ 0xa4617d80]no frame!

However, the small piece of video plays though, it doesnt crash and then continue till the end of the project.
ddennedy
Registered Member

Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:31 am
Try turning off the thumbnailing in Kdenlive Settings, restart Kdenlive, and then try loading a project.

Senbee
Registered Member

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:38 am
Hello, I'm having the same problem. Ubuntu 12.04 amd64, Kdenlive 0.9.4 Sunab Release (and 0.9.5 Sunab SVN as well) repositories. It happens with my very large project I'm working on. It takes 8 minutes to load an old version (fortunately I save and rename every step I do) but the new version crashes at the end of the 8 minutes.
If I put *anything* in a specific place of the timeline (around 41:25:00) and I save it, then it crashes when I open it. If I leave a piece blank or I leave everything like it was, it loads. I can add anything before and after, but not in that specific place: it will cause a crash.
This is really a strange behaviour, it's probably related to some corruption, somewhere... but, really, I don't know what to do.

Senbee
Registered Member

Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:30 am
A very strange behaviour:

I tried to load the file into old 0.8.x Kdenlive and it doesn't crash. But it eliminates everything I have on the top track (Video 1) and puts some random clips at the end of the timeline.
I imported the saved file into Kdenlive 0.9.4 and put back the clips where they have to be (it took me one whole day).

The strange thing is that, only from minute 00:41:01 to the end, I can do anything I want on the project, I save and it doesn't crash, but only if I do it on *one* track only. I can put a clip on Video1, than one on video 2, but if I put a clip on video1 AND a clip on video2, or even an audio track to dub or to add music, I save it and then I open, and it crashes!

Looks like Kdenlive did something nasty with the track count; it cant't manage more than one track at the same time.

Now I'll try to delete everything from minute 41 to the end, and then keep this as "Part I". Then I will try to cut everything before minute 41 and keep the rest as "Part 2".

I'm working on a professional film and this is screwing all my job. That's a nightmare. Any suggestion?

j-b-m
Registered Member

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:26 pm
Could you provide a backtrace? Install the kdenlive-dbg and libmlt-dbg packages and see the last paragraph of http://kdenlive.org/bug-reports for instructions.
Senbee
Registered Member

Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:33 pm
Ok, I'm going to do it. In the meanwhile: last night I tried to split the project. If I erase the last part of the project (more or less 5 minutes, only one day of work) and then I save it, everything works perfectly. If I delete everything but the "new" part, and bring it to the beginning, and then save it, when I open it, it crashes the same.
So last night I re-did the one-day job starting from the working "part I" and now I'm back to work. Everything's good, it looks like, at least. :-)

Anyway I'm going to file the bug, mostly for curiosity.
I bet something happened in the new version of MLT: I noticed that some "composite" + "pan&zoom" transitions have been replaced by an "affine" transition, not available days ago. Some remained like before, some became "Affine". Very strange.

Senbee
Registered Member

Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:13 pm
SOLVED. I was filing the bug when this came out: http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kdenlive.git&a=commit&h=53bd5bb0ca9e46a9798d0b1c90852a394e9217e8
Applied this git, took off some troubled clips in troubled areas, put back in, and now it works. Some clips and images had metadata, and those metadata corrupted the file.