This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Transitions don't work when made withing one clip

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
rybinin
Registered Member
I have edited some videos from concert. I have several clips, but I needed to cut off something in the middle of that clip and make dissolve. For example I have seven m2t clips. When I make dissolve between clip1 and clip2, evertything is OK. But when I cut off something within clip1 and try to make dissolve between these two parts of clip1, dissolve doesn't work. And other transitions work badly too. For ex. slide transition makes slide from destination clip to destination clip. It is quite weird bug. Any ideas, what does it make?
yellow_drupal
Registered Member
ffmpeg support for HDV mpeg2 is pretty bad, certainly I have bad performance seeking with m2ts, so you may want to transcoding a clip and testing it with the cut and transition to see if things improve.
markoc
Registered Member
I guess you should cut your clip in two, and put the two parts on separate tracks, then do dissolves etc between the two tracks?

rybinin
Registered Member
yellow: I'll try it. I have no problems with HDV, I had problem with very slow seeking in mts files (AVCHD). I'll try transcoding or remux or something like that. But I have to say I had no problems with HDV in previous versions of kdenlive. This transition problem is new (for me).

Marko:
Of course I make dissolves in two video tracks. I am not stupid :) I work with kdenlive for 3 years. I didn't mean "within one track" I meant withing one clip. Not to dissolve two separate clips (or 2 takes, or separate files, if you wish).
rybinin
Registered Member
I tried to transcode it to DNxHD and it works. (But DNxHD is damn big, not ideal opiton :) ) Remux didn´t work. But that is quite interresting situation, because I tried to make a dissolve and the end of my timeline (after all edited clips), different place of timeline, respectively and it worked also. So, I really don't know hot to describe this bug more precisely. It may be lousy ffmpeg support, some problem in MLT or whatever.
rybinin
Registered Member
No, correction. It worked only once. (with DNxHD) - don't know why. So that problem will not be codec related. I think that will be software-related problem with dissolving different parts of clip of the same name. If I use one part of that clip transcoded to DNxHD and second part is the original, dissolve is OK. Hope that anyone will have the same problem and it will be fixed.
Pepou
Registered Member
The bug is still here on kdenlive 0.9.2.
Gingerling
Registered Member
hi,

for a simple code-free work arround you can use identical video files/clips with diffrent names.

So, go to your video file (the actual file outisde of kdenlive) then duplicate and rename the copy. Eg, take your video.ogg and make video.ogg AND video_2.ogg.

Then import that new clip into kdenlive too and just make sure you are always alternating between them in the above situtaion, rather than tranitioning within one clip.

This seems to work fine for me, though its uneccesary fiddely and the bug still needs fixing! : )

Best of Wishes

Anna
Luno
Registered Member
Hi,

I'm having the exact same bug, and I know it's marked "solved" in the tracker - but how do I fix this without getting the latest git and compiling everything from source?

Edit: As usual, "solution" right after posting. Had some problems running the ruby script, working now.