This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Audio out of sync

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ebisudave
Registered Member

Audio out of sync

Sun May 24, 2009 4:00 pm
First, let me just say that the latest Kdenlive is great. Way more stable than previous versions, and the interface is as intuitive as ever.

However, unfortunately, I am having trouble with audio when rendering AVI files. It is out of sync by a couple of seconds. Further, the quality is a little poor, making occasional popping sounds and is somewhat fuzzy.

After reading some other comments, I ensured to have the LAME encoder installed. However, that has not helped.

What can I do to diagnose and hopefully solve this audio syncing problem?

Thank you for any advice.
ebisudave
Registered Member

Re: Audio out of sync

Tue May 26, 2009 3:34 am
Sorry... forgot to mention some specs:

Ubuntu 9.04 with Gnome interface.

Kdenlive Version 0.7.3 Using KDE 4.2.2.

Also, some other details...

I've discovered that the sound is fuzzy and out of sync no matter what format I try to render to, whether it's Flash or Mpeg or anything else.

I have tried rendering in both PAL and NTSC.

I have also tried setting my sound playback to Alsa, Pulse, and OSS. I think Pulse is my default.

In all cases, anything I make in Kdenlive comes with the sound out of sync.

Please help me resolve this problem. I'm becoming quite frustrated at not being able to use Kdenlive.
pseudoruprecht_drupal
Registered Member

Tue May 26, 2009 9:37 am
Some questions:

Which codecs do you use for the audio/video of the output video?
What is the input material? DV? HDV?
Does this only occur in Kdenlive, but not in, say, Kino or Avidemux?
ebisudave
Registered Member

Tue May 26, 2009 10:48 am
Thanks for replying.

This is the render profile (or at least one, for example):
acodec=libmp3lame ab=128k ar=44100 vcodec=libxvid minrate=0 b=8000k aspect=%dar mbd=2 trellis=1 mv4=1 pass=2

The input video is just one MPEG file, from my Sony DCR-SR300. The original MPG file plays fine. All other videos play fine on my system. Only ones created in Kdenlive have the syncing problem.

All I've done with the video in my Kdenlive project is to trim off some time from the beginning and end, and add in a fade-in from black, and a fade-out to black. Just keeping it simple to practise using Kdenlive. I've already tried rendering the video out without any adjustments at all, or any effects, and the audio is still messed up, so I think it must be a configuration/codec issue.

I don't know how to use Kino or Avidemux. I much, much prefer Kdenlive so I would like to focus on becoming an expert on that. I understand that you are asking for comparative purposes, so I will download and test Kino, though I can't promise I will be capable with it in the near future.

For the time being, I think it's reasonable to assume the problem is within Kdenlive specifically, as I have no multimedia issues elsewhere.
jmpoure_drupal
Registered Member

Tue May 26, 2009 10:48 am
Could you publish your source files here so that we can reproduce the bug. Then open a bug on the bug tracker.
ebisudave
Registered Member

Tue May 26, 2009 12:48 pm
Thank you for replying.

What do you mean by publish the "source files"? Do you mean some code component?

If you mean the video... it's a personal video, I'm not sure I would be willing to make it available on the net.

If you mean the .kdenlive project file, then no problem.

(I just tried attaching the .kdenlive project file and it says only "jpg jpeg gif png txt pdf patch" extensions are allowed. No zip or gz? Or .kdenlive?)

Do you mean something else?

I will submit a bug report.
ebisudave
Registered Member

Wed May 27, 2009 10:43 am
I made a small video for the purpose of demonstrating the problem and made it available for download.

The URL and details can be found in the bug report:

http://www.kdenlive.org/mantis/view.php?id=865
ebisudave
Registered Member

Fri May 29, 2009 3:34 am
Just an update. As recommended, I downloaded Kino and gave it a shot.

With Kino I was able to render out video that had no audio syncing problems whatsoever.

So it seems that the problem is confirmed to be with Kdenlive.
yellow_drupal
Registered Member

Sat May 04, 2013 10:38 pm
Trying a more upto date version of kdenlive and MLT might help, there were audio sync problems previously. kdenlive 0.9.6 & MLT 0.8.9 are current.

I've had similar problems a few months ago where I'd load a slightly older project and I'd get error messages about import sync problems and did I want them corrected or some such report. But doing so screwed up the whole edit of coarse, not had that recently though.