This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Clips displaced and wrong length

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
animationista
Registered Member
OS

Clips displaced and wrong length

Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:26 pm
I'm having huge problems with content being displaced when opening projects.
I't all kind of content; video, images, title clips etc.
They are displaced by about half a second in either direction and when trying to move clips back to an working edit some clips are of the wrong lenght. Also not the whole clip is displayed, when scrubbing at the end of clips only black is shown, as if there is no clip there.

I've moved clips and reconstructed the project a few times now, it works for a little while, then all of a sudden ehen opening it's all out of order again.
I can't work at all with my projects in Kdenlive right now.

0.8 in Mint 11, 64bit. Also 0.8 on ubuntu 10.04
moorsey
Registered Member
I saw this kind of issue when I had a project with loads of transitions, logged a bug report, but hasn't been taken further yet, might be worth attaching your project file there as well?

At least, it sounds like a similar issue anyway, see what you think

http://www.kdenlive.org/mantis/view.php?id=1901
j-b-m
Registered Member
@rylleman:
I am really trying to fix those corrupted timeline issues for the next release, so I will need more infos from you. Could you mail me (jb at kdenlive.org) one of the "broken" project file, with a description of what is broken (which clip on which track, ...). Also, when opening the project, do you have any warning about broken producer or something similar?. I recently fixed a corruption that appeared when deleting a track, did you delete tracks in that project?

@moorsey, I will post some questions in your bug report.

regards
moorsey
Registered Member
j-b-m, appreciate you looking at the bug report, will post back there also
animationista
Registered Member
OS
I've mailed j-b-m the project file.

The corrupted file is an old project file. I work with animation so it's a slow process, been working on this animatic edit for at least 2 years.
I've had missing clips and have deleted tracks in the past.

I tried to find any Kdenlive version-number in the 01.1 file version but couldn't find any.
I think it would be a good idea for debugging to include this.
j-b-m
Registered Member
Hi!

Thanks for the project file, it really helps. I think I found at least one problem, the project file shows some inconsistencies in some clips durations.

I can see 2 reasons for this:

1) There was a bug that caused that kind of problem when changing the project's frame rate (for example changing the project profile from 23.98 fps to 24fps). I just fixed this bug in svn rev. 5710

2) If the project was created with older MLT/FFmpeg versions, it is possible that the clip's detected duration has slightly changed due to some fine tuning in one of those libs (the clips in your project file show a duration difference of 4-5 frames).

I will add a check in Kdenlive to make sure that such inconsistencies get detected when opening a project.

regards
animationista
Registered Member
OS

Re: Clips displaced and wrong length

Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:51 am
Thank you!
It couldn't be the framerate issue since I've never changed that. I always work in 25fps.

Lately, as in last few months, I've experienced that imported clips are a few frames short. I though the problem lied in my conversion from png-seq into mp4 with ffmpeg for easier editing. I imported both png-sequences and mp4s in different tracks so I had a full res. render track and one quick preview track but pngs and mp4s mismatched in length.
I guess that the length issue was in Kdenlive then. (Started in 0.78)

But if it is a fine tuning of the libs then why would the mismatch between png-sequence and mp4 occur now? Shouldn't it be the other way around? a mismatch that gets fixed in later versions? (I must examine the mp4s to make sure the wrong length is not in them)

I'm going to reposition clips once more to get a proper lenght edit and save a reference backup of this if the problem occur again.
animationista
Registered Member
OS

Re: Clips displaced and wrong length

Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:55 pm
Arrghh!
Happened again...
I once more fixed the project. Moved all files to right positions, right lenghts etc. I saved a backup copy that I knew was right length.
I then continued working on the project file, updated a few clips and added one or two new. Saved, and I'm quite sure; closed the file, restarted the machine, reopened the project to see that everything was fine.

Now today when opening everything is out of order again! Opening the backup copy this too is off but not as much as the file I continued working on, just a few frames on backup...

Do I have to recreate the whole project from scratch to get a working file? Create a new project where I import the footage again and recreate the edit? Much too much work...

As it is now I can't continue working on this. And I need to present a work copy to client tomorrow...
crisferreira
Registered Member
Hi there,

I'm filmmaker and just migrated to Ubuntu Studio 14.04 and Kdenlive 14.04 few days ago. I was firstly very impressed and happy with it's overall performance and capabilities but I just started facing some real problems that could mean hours of work lost in the future...

It's about the displaced videos and wrong leght after reopening a project.
I'm pretty much in the same situation of this discussion from 2011
viewtopic.php?f=265&t=114241

I wonder if you guys have found a solution for that problem.
I did not change frame rate and all my clips come from the same camera (Canon 5d MarkIII).

I highly appreciate any help!

Best regards,

Cris
Steve Guilford
Registered Member
crisferreira wrote:Hi there,

I'm filmmaker and just migrated to Ubuntu Studio 14.04 and Kdenlive 14.04 few days ago. I was firstly very impressed and happy with it's overall performance and capabilities but I just started facing some real problems that could mean hours of work lost in the future...

It's about the displaced videos and wrong leght after reopening a project.
I'm pretty much in the same situation of this discussion from 2011
viewtopic.php?f=265&t=114241

I wonder if you guys have found a solution for that problem.
I did not change frame rate and all my clips come from the same camera (Canon 5d MarkIII).

I highly appreciate any help!

Best regards,

Cris

I can take a look at this later in the week. I'll need the kdenlive project file at least. Hopefully you will not have to send me everything. Can you post your project file somewhere that I can download it from?

Also...14.04 is not a valid Kdenlive version#. Where did you get Kdenlive from ? Please post back the version number when you go to Help->About Kdenlive