This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Error reopening a project

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
pipoca
Registered Member
OS

Error reopening a project

Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:41 pm
Hi All,

HP dv4 - Kubuntu Karmic 9.10 - KDE 4.3.2 - Kdenlive 0.7.6 (all amd64)

When I try to edit a 3min video shot with a Sony DSC-W55 in 640x480 (fine) mode I get the following error:

1. Start a new project VGA NTSC
2. Add the MOVxxxx.MPG clip
3. Put the clip in track #1
4. Play the clip
5. Save the project and quit the app

All steps above work fine. However, when I reopen the project the clip and project monitors play only the sound - the image is black. The clip is still in track #1 and the thumbs are ok, but when I move across the time line I only see a black image.

Any help is appreciated.

TIA,

Pipoca
S. Paulo - Brazil
j-b-m
Registered Member

Re: Error reopening a project

Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:08 pm
You are probably having the same issue as the Sony DSC-T20 camera. Those Sony cams output a proprietary MPEG format that does not really support seeking (see comments: http://kdenlive.org/video-editor/sony-dsc-t20 ). You may try to transcode your clips first:
In Kdenlive's "File" menu, select "Transcode clips". Then select your clips. A new dialog will open for the transcoding. Select "Fix MPEG1" as profile, check the "Add clips to project" option and click start.

That will transcode your clips (originals are not touched) and using the newly transcoded clips, you might be able to work correctly in Kdenlive.
j-b-m
Registered Member

Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:19 pm
Hey, good news. It looks like the seeking problem in FFMpeg was just fixed 5 days ago:
https://roundup.ffmpeg.org/roundup/ffmpeg/issue1226

So if you can compile FFMpeg or get a very recent version, your problems should be fixed, no need to transcode anymore.
pipoca
Registered Member
OS

Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:26 pm
Solved!

Thanks a lot, j-b-m.
pipoca
Registered Member
OS

Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:29 pm
"So if you can compile FFMpeg or get a very recent version, your problems should be fixed, no need to transcode anymore."

I'm an average-dumb-gui-user. No chance to compile anything... :-))

Thanks for your suggestion anyway.
styropyro
Registered Member

Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:04 am
I want to add something here:
I recorded a video using kazam. It saves in mp4 with name "screencast date time", where minutes and hours are seprated by colon ":"
I imported this video in kdenlive and found the same error in reopening as above described.
Later by experimentation I discovered that kdenlive does not accept any video of which name involves colon. It can run just fine the first time, but gives errors in reopening.