This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

AVCHD 3D/Progressive - H264 MVC Support

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dode
Registered Member
OS
I've recently started to work with AVCHD 3D/Progressive - H264 MVC material and even though kdenlive works fine with it, it treats it as 2D, so I guess it is only using the left view of the video.

I suppose 3D support or the ability to "split" the left and right view into separate clips (making it easy to i.e. create anaglyph 3D videos) is up to ffmpeg/libavcodec, and as far as I could find out, support for decoding H264 MVC has been discussed but not yet started.

There is at least one (commercial, non-OpenSource) tool, 3dtv.at MVC to AVI Converter, available which works fine but only runs on Windows. The Intel Media SDK 2013 contains sample code allowing to decode H264 MVC into one YUV video per view, but I could not get it to work.

Any other experiences with such material and kdenlive?

I'd be happy to assist/contribute where I can, in testing and providing sample videos, unfortunately I only know how to write code in Java.

Cheers,
Torsten
dode
Registered Member
OS
I have added a camera (Panasonic HDC-Z10000) using AVCHD 2.0/H264 MVC videos including sample footage to the list of supported camcorders.
nickbailey
Registered Member
Sorry for waking the very old thread.

I've got an AVCHD-recording 3D camera (a Panasonic), and it's very annoying I can't edit with it using open source tools on Kdenlive.

I think I might have worked out how to do it. It's a hack, but for the few of us that are interested, it might just work.

I'm just asking here in case either

• someone who knows what they are talking about will tell me if it can't be done this way;
  • it's already in a development version somewhere so I needn't bother.

This is not a request for assistance, as I'm well aware there won't be many 3D camera users. There's no change to Kdenlive itself.

I've written up the workflow here: https://github.com/nickbailey/Kdenlive-3D-tools

Ideas and comments?