This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Image Stabilization

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
g.marco
Registered Member

Re: Image Stabilization

Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:59 pm
@betaversion:

you must not convert anything before. Just add clip to project, right click, stabilize , stabilize(transcode) (which mean with the code from transcode , no transcode itself needed)

@callmebruce

yes, like the command line options for that, the stabilize procedure like written before will make exact this. When you click "start", it will add the file to a playlist, attaches the videostab or videostab2 filter and render this to the video.mp4.mlt file. This File is the same type as the command line xml version. When you clicked "add to project" this .mlt file will be added to project. You can view this new mlt file or use this in timeline. The original file will not be changed or modified. Means: you have 2 files after stabilize 1 file.

sunboy_drupal
Registered Member

Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:01 pm
I'd like to build the stabilize Branch, but can't install a recent MLT version due to compatibility issues with my AV Linux system. Because of that I use to build Kdenlive with the build script. Is there a way to modify the build script to build the stabilize instead of the master branch?
g.marco
Registered Member

Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:26 pm
after a first short loo you could change

KDENLIVE_HEAD=1
KDENLIVE_REVISION=

to

KDENLIVE_HEAD=0
KDENLIVE_REVISION=stabilize

betaversion
Registered Member

Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:02 pm
If so, I just see no effect calling stabilize function.
sunboy_drupal
Registered Member

Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:18 pm
Hmm, I have compiled the Stabilize-Branch via Build-Script now, but the stabilizing entries in project menu still don't seem to have a function for me.
g.marco
Registered Member

Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:01 pm
but it should. i'v commited some changes now to stabilize branch and would merge to master if some test where done.

right click on a clip should show a menu stabililze -> videostab(transcode). After that you should see a dialog and you could start stabiizing.

I also made some changes to videostab2. It has now some SSE2 optimizing, which work 10 times faster in stabilizing (when you have sse2 enabled during mlt compile). I'll push this changes to github, and ask wo merge this in mlt-master these days. i hope you could see now some changes, else it will be later in master branch.

BTW: you need an mlt version with vdieostab filters in, else you will not see the menu

betaversion
Registered Member

Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:19 pm
what can i do, to get mlt vdieostab filter?
g.marco
Registered Member

Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:54 pm
latest git version of mlt should have it in

i'll test this now under linux , and if it works for the "main" platform, i'll merge this to master

j-b-m
Registered Member

Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:28 pm
Hi Marco.

I just tried the videostab branch. For my tests, I downloaded a shaky video from the net:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxRzpFuSxbQ (there is a download link below the video).

Tried to deshake it in Kdenlive using videostab(transcode) leaving all parameters to the default values, and the resulting .mlt clip crashes Kdenlive and MLT when trying to play it...

By the way, the UI for the videostab(transcode) filter would really need work... I think sliders should have a numeric field beside so that user knows the value for later use, and angle values could use a dial widget (http://doc.qt.nokia.com/latest/widgets-sliders.html), some documentation (tooltip or similar) would also be necessary...

The UI stuff can be done later, but we cannot afford to have a filter that results in Kdenlive committing suicide... maybe you can try to reproduce with the clip I mentionned.
g.marco
Registered Member

Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:10 am
Hi

i tried your video (on a mac, tested on command line and kdenlive) it creates the mlt file without segfault. the .mlt file is playable.
kdenlive is having problems creating the thumb and proxy. (but it is a playable simple mlt file)

did you update kdenlive(stabilize) before test.(some timer issues and some more where in earlier today).

Yes the ui is a mess. it is first only for having something to adjust.
Best would be to reuse the effectsliders. mlt paramters could be read direct from the mlt repository.
But for this whe need to save the pointer to Mlt::Repository and give this to the classes.

but it should not crash with the latest code of mlt(videostab) and kdenlive(stabilize)

i'll test the file on linix with latest versions:

it did crash
too low contrast! No field remains.
(no translations are detected in frame 872)too low contrast! No field remains.

the problem will be (i think) the videostab is for videos that are uncut, else it would be difficult to find the next frame shake, when it is complete different image)

i think it i a bug in the filter, which occours when using multiple threads (pointer is deleted in one, use in another thread).

betaversion
Registered Member

Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:53 am
No changes yet. (What's wrong?)
g.marco
Registered Member

Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:30 pm
as j-b-m said, there issues with that.

maybe i should not call mlt direct as lib, but else start a nnew process, so that a segfault will not kill kdenlive itself ?
i dont want to make kdenlive instable with this feature.

betaversion
Registered Member

Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:38 pm
It's a nonsense. The other transcode functions works good, Why this code must be unstable?
g.marco
Registered Member

Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:22 pm
i'd feel better, if someone could test this branch too and tell if it works or not.
Should we do a bigger rewrite to reuse the code from effectstack in this filter ?

i'd tried to find one bug in videostab2 when replying the stabilized video, but this is only in some rare cases.

i'll take a look next days, or some idea from others ?

betaversion
Registered Member

Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:21 pm
I'm agree. A single (not KDE) user can't give a true idea if it's really working or not.
Someone else?