This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Image Stabilization

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
betaversion
Registered Member

Re: Image Stabilization

Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:05 pm
I'm using ffmpeg 0.7.2-1ubuntu1 too.
And... don't worry.
If you'll give stabilization in kdenlive, you'll give stabilization for entire Linux. ;)
yellow_drupal
Registered Member

Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:28 am
Keeping to the subject of stabilization in MLT, integration in kdenlive, ;-) I'm more than happy to test with a number of video formats I use but I really have had little success building from source in the past and this is why I find sunabs svn PPA such a blessing. But I do realize this is Ubuntu only.

What version of ffmpeg should a builder be using? Mine's from ffmpeg git presently.**EDIT** Removed and now using 0.7.2-4:0.7.2-1ubuntu1 :-)

I'm not a KDE fan so really don't want tons of KDE development libraries on my machine if possible especially as I'm going to be adding all this for nothing more than a small gui addition in kdenlive everything else already resides on my machine from sunabs PPA.

Is it possible to have both the stabilize branch and git PPA resident on a machine?

As I already have a 'working' MLT with the stabilize functions (stable or unstable as they may be) in it and it's only the access to the kdenlive gui missing is there no simple way to have this as a tick box inclusion / omit in the svn kdenlive preferences as a temporary measure and WARNING message against it like the threads whatnot already there, that way access to the stabilize functions for testing is open to a wider audience than those willing to compile a separate branch.

Stabilization is a long awaited 'feature' for kdenlive, with an active and willing developer, thanks marco. :-) Be good to see help for users to push the testing of this, to get it into kdenlive.

@betaversion, sorry I missed your previous query to me, my apologies for not responding.

DiveO
Registered Member

Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:49 pm
Has the stabilize reached sunab's repos yet? I see the menu items but nothing happens after selecting one of the two menu items. No progress bar, no cpu load.
g.marco
Registered Member

Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:55 pm
not yet. some little changes and after the release of 0.8.2.1 i think i can merge the stabilizing.
Some more tests can then follow until next release.

yellow_drupal
Registered Member

Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:12 pm
Now that 0.8.2.1 is released, admittedly only very recently, would it be possible to add the stabilize GUI to kdenlive git to test. :-)
callmebruce
Registered Member

Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:26 pm
Pretty please?

(I've been searching for a gui wrapper for MLT/videostab2 as I'm not real good at command line hijinks)
g.marco
Registered Member

Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:15 pm
i merged the changes into master. Some test would be nice, but do not use this for production (without saving your project before).
the GUI should be stable, the filter itself should get some more attention.

yellow_drupal
Registered Member

Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:30 am
marco, excellent, looking forward to trying this, just waiting for updated sunabs PPA.
DiveO
Registered Member

Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:10 pm
Great to see image stabilization has arrived at the main branch and in sunab's ppa repo. Thank you very much for this work!

One thing I noticed that is lacking is support for multi-core systems: both transcode as well as vstab use only a single thread/core -- which is rather boring on a quad core system. ;)
DiveO
Registered Member

Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:12 pm
BTW -- for GUI consistency, the job status indication should be an ordinary progress bar and not a slider as used for input.
yellow_drupal
Registered Member

Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:41 pm
Opening up the project that crashed and doing an auto recover shows that a proxy had been generated for the .mlt stablizized clip so appears the crash happened after that completed.

Playing the stabilized .mlt clip shows some weird horizontal and vertical smearing of the pixels from areas within the frame smeared out to the edges of the frame, the smearing appears at a point a minute or so into the clip to the end of the clip and varies in it's starting position from frame to frame but always smears out to the edges of the frame.

Doing some more testing, but is slow on my old Sempron. :-)
DiveO
Registered Member

Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:53 pm
The proxies for the mlt video files are broken. If you disable and delete the proxy for the .mlt file, you will see the stabilized video result instead of just strange color effects.
yellow_drupal
Registered Member

Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:05 am
Hi, I used the build script to build kdenlive and associated apps to get an upto date git build to try stabilize. I only testef one clip so far, a Canon DSLR h264 file, after stabilizing finished it was added to the project as a .mlt file then proxy creation started for the clip as expected project settings.

At that point kdenlive crashed.

Other comments on process:

1. Is a separate window for each clip the best choice, I understand this is WIP but I feel a panel might be more suitable or actually handling in the GUI like proxy generation, this may be more difficult if there is going to be parameters exposed needed to be tweaked for each clip. But a new window for each clip could get messy.

2. Whilst stabilizing is happening no proxys get made for any additional clips added to the project tree.

3. Whilst stabilizing no thumbs ie start and end thumb appear on any clip added to the timeline whilst stabilize is running.

4. Whilst stabilizing any additional clips added to the Project Tree have 'Loading' against them, trying to drag onto the timeline fails with warning sound and told 'Clip Not Ready'

Test was done with vstab only not transcode.

Will do many more tests, looking forward to stabilize being stable. :-)

Great to see it added.
yellow_drupal
Registered Member

Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:43 am
Unfortunately not. :-(

Playing the .mlt files back with Melt on the CLI shows the same smearing. :-(

Further test this time with interlaced DV sources and no proxies results are the same, crashing after stabilize / add to project and smearing pixels at perimeter to frame on all edges playing and when encoding via the MLT xml file :-(

I'm assuming theres some problem with the vstab plugin processing the vectors included in the .mlt file.

g.marco
Registered Member

Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:24 pm
thats bad. coudl you upload the resulting mlt file and maybe the source video, so that i can check this ?

the interlace code for yuv seem to have some problems.
i hope i find some time next, to fix this.

EDIT: after some tests, i found, the first image is corrupted in filter, the last image is free'd to early, so it segfaults.

the problem seems to be only in the filter itself