This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kde themes

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
virginio
Registered Member

Kde themes

Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:24 pm
Hello to everyone! my first post! :)

I have installed the last version of kdenlive (0.7.7), all ok, but i dont see the new themes, only the default theme...

How do I install new one's?

thk
sunab
Registered Member
OS

Re: Kde themes

Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:01 pm
I think kdenlive detects kde themes installed on your system. Use your package manager to find some themes or add some others manually (look at kde-look.org).
virginio
Registered Member

Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:26 pm
Ops! i use Ubuntu Gnome... :/
sunab
Registered Member
OS

Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:33 pm
I use gnome too, but you can install kde themes to modify kdenlive look (and other kde based apps).
Steeler
Registered Member

Re: Kde themes (SOLVED)

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:18 pm
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.370988659682501.1073741827.100003141098218&type=3

http://www.steeler.altervista.org/kdenlive/themes/style_sheet.qss.zip

English Instruction within the file.

tested on Ubuntu.
ewhac
Registered Member
OS

Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:34 pm
The approach I took was to download an agreeable .colors file and install it in the directory "$(HOME)/.kde/share/config/colors". kdenlive will see the files in here and make them available for selection from the "Settings / Themes.." menu.

Finding agreeable .colors files, however, can be a challenge. I grabbed mine directly from KDE's source code repository ("Obsidian Coast" is quite good). You'll have to copy-paste the page text and edit out the line numbers, though:

http://lxr.kde.org/source/kde/kdeartwork/ColorSchemes/
http://lxr.kde.org/source/kde/kde-workspace/kcontrol/colors/schemes/
yellow_drupal
Registered Member

Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:23 am
Does that approach work for non KDE based distros which is where the crux of the matter is?

For example I just built a new machine and as I'm so tired of Ubuntu's messed up Unity + NVidia drivers + Linux headers etc I used Mint with Mate interface, no KDE Desktop except runtime and a few other libraries to run kdenlive.

On attempting to use KDE themes in kdenlive via the package manager it wanted to install between 500MB and 1GB of KDE related 'garbage' that I never use.

Digikam is the only other KDE app of any worth and thats running on a server machine for cataloging.

So to avoid KDE I used GTK2 themes and a GTK2 theme editor out of the distro repos at a fraction of the size with Darklooks GTK theme, so I have a more consistant and uniform color scheme across both kdenlive and Mate Interface and other apps.

The Darklooks theme resembles a default Adobe Premiere CS appearance.
ewhac
Registered Member
OS

Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:43 pm
Yes. Both my machines are a Frankenstein's Monster of mixed libs that started life as a relatively minimalist install (GTK+) and added stuff going along. At no point have these machines had a full KDE installation.

It turns out you don't actually need most of the KDE components. What you need are Qt components and some tools. Install the packages qt4-qtconfig, kde-style-qtcurve, and systemsettings. (Optionally also install qt3-qtconfig for older Qt apps.) This will haul in some KDE libs ('systemsettings' in particular will haul in most of the KDE runtime), but not as much as a full KDE desktop install.

Between qtconfig and systemsettings, you should be able to fiddle with most of the Qt theme settings and install many (most?) KDE themes.
yellow_drupal
Registered Member

Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:52 am
hi ewhac, ok thanks I'll have a look, my machines too start minimalist and 'try' to keep it that way as much as possible. :-) thanks again for the suggestions.