This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Capture direct with camcorder that has no firewire?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
magnusl
Registered Member
Hi!

I have a camcorder that has no firewire port (a Panasonic HDC-SD90). There is a HDMI, an USB and an AV-out, but no firewire. Is there a way to direct capture with this in Kdenlive?

Magnus
markoc
Registered Member
If the camcorder can be put into an "USB storage device" mode, then you can simply connect it to the PC and mount it as an USB key (probably automatic mount on most modern distributions), and copy the files.
magnusl
Registered Member
Hi!

Yes, I can copy the files, the clips and films already taken. But I'm interested in the possibility to do live recordings, live capture, with the camcorder, directly into Kdenlive. I understand that is an easy option with firewire... but how about when the cam does not have that?

Magnus
markoc
Registered Member
I guess that depends on whether you can get your cam to work with v4l, but I haven't much experience with that.

Another option would be HDMI via an Black Magic card - this will give you outstanding quality, but at the cost of huge files, and you need a PC that can handle the bandwidth (and a BM card, of course).
TiKaey
Registered Member
Or using a Videocard in The Computer and the A/V-Ports at the camera (just lower quality).

But... why using live-recording to kdenlive?
For Live-Streaming, maybe into the web, i think, thats usefull, but in kdenlive, wich is an nonlinear editor?
Why not first recording with the camera and then put thge files on the computer?
Just confusing...

magnusl
Registered Member
Thanks! Getting a clearer picture of it. And yes, it might be a bad idea..:) The idea was to skip a step in the production process, but it might produce more trouble than it saves.

Best,

Magnus
TiKaey
Registered Member
I think, the nonlinear (recording) way is more simple then the linear (live) way. :o)