This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Converting from NTSC to PAL

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
poalo_pd
Registered Member

Converting from NTSC to PAL

Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:32 am
Hi guys, it is the first time that I use this software and I have 2 files, one movie NTSC (m2v) and one audio (ac3). I put them into the timeline and I wish to export that project in PAL 4:3.
The question is: is it better to convert that project from NTSC to PAL and then exporting or I can do the conversion during the exporting phase?.
I have seen there are some possibility to export in PAL and also converting the project, but I want to be sure
Thank for your suggestions
ttguy
OS

Re: Converting from NTSC to PAL

Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:54 am
I convert from PAL to NTSC. I create a project with Dv/DVD Widescreen NTSC as the option and then put my PAL footage on the time line. When kdenlive complains the project profile does not match the footage I tell it to bugger off (translation I cancel Kdenlives desire to update my project profile). I then render to a NTSC DVD format from the DVD group of render profiles.

Edit: I don't however actually edit PAL footage in NTSC project. When I did this I found it behaved very strangely.

Rather I edit my PAL footage in a PAL project and render that complete project to a lossless format (RAW DV). And then it is that PAL footage I put into a NTSC project for a final render to NTSC DVD format.

You could try similar but with a reverse logic and choose the non-widescreen options.

ttguy
poalo_pd
Registered Member

Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:37 pm
Thank you ttguy, I have had the same idea, but maybe it better to convert all in one big AVI file and then I can manipulate with others editor. The only thing I don't know is if it is possible to convert in AVI...
ttguy
OS

Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:14 am
You should be able to edit your NTSC footage into one big NTSC .avi file and then load that file into a PAL project. Tell it to ignore the fact that the file and project do not match and then render to a PAL format file.