This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Phenom II X4 965 and ATI RADEON HD 4350 enough for 720p (1280x720)?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
egerlach
Registered Member
OS
Hi,
I want to render videos 720p (1280x720, MPEG-4, rendered with handbrake from .mts 1920x1080 to 1280x720 mpeg-4) in kdenlive. Is a Phenom II X4 965 4x3,4GHz processor and a ATI RADEON HD 4350 (512MB, DDR2) graphics card enough?

If not, is the power enough for 480p, 854x480?

Mainboard: ASUS M4477TD Pro, DDR3 RAM, 4GB

I prefer passive graphics cards because of current consumption and cooler maintenance. I render occasionally, its not my profession ;)

The hardware is not yet present, maybe I get it.

Is a "AMD Radeon HD8350 1GB DDR3 passiv" perhaps much better?

I'm using ubuntu, xubuntu with kdenlive and AMD-graphics cards are recommended because of easy driver support.
tia
Eckard
capslock
Registered Member
OS
You should have no problems, as your graphics card is not used for rendering. You need a fast CPU, which seems to be given. :-)
ttguy
OS
Turn on the proxy clip feature to cope with HiRes videos stuttering in the time line.

http://userbase.kde.org/Kdenlive/Manual/Projects_and_Files/Project_Settings
capslock
Registered Member
OS
Thanks ttguy, I stumbled over "I want to render..." in the first sentence.
egerlach
Registered Member
OS
Perhaps a missunderstanding: I want to cut the video in the timeline, add effects, etc. Do I need for that a fast graphics card? I want to play the timeline without stuttering of video and sound. The rendering at the end may last for hours .. thats no problem. I'm working now on a Laptop lenovo B560 core i3 DDR3, 6GB RAM, this laptop is stuttering when working in the timeline with videos bigger than 480p /854x480. Do you think the Phenom II X4 965 is enough an the graphics card will be no bottleneck?

tia
egerlach
Registered Member
OS
Thx!!! The proxy clip feature is a solution! kdenlive - a great software!! I don't need to buy a faster PC. Thx!