This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Rendering Project seems to only use 1 core

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
zerofossilfuel
Registered Member
OS
Are SVN builds no longer being tailored to trusty?
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
Development now occurs only on Qt5/Frameworks5 version (merged in git "master" branch) so for latest Kdenlive you need latest Ubuntu: Vivid.
zerofossilfuel
Registered Member
OS
I'm a LTS kind of guy and for me this news comes as a grave disappointment. From my perspective things were definitely moving along in the right direction. Now it looks like I am again regressing back to 0.9.6-x. {sigh}
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
Why would LTS people use beelding edge multimedia stack? ;-)
You sould stick to 0.9.10, there are no huge evolutions since then.
This version should still be available as archive in PPA?
Then KF5 LTS should be in august (15.08)?
zerofossilfuel
Registered Member
OS
...Because 0.9.10 introduces the very problem which is the topic of this thread that 0.9.6 does not suffer from.
Steve Guilford
Registered Member
zerofossilfuel wrote:...Because 0.9.10 introduces the very problem which is the topic of this thread that 0.9.6 does not suffer from.

An unfortunate trade-off for stability. But, this will not be forever.
zerofossilfuel
Registered Member
OS
Well then I definitely look forward to 0.9.11 or what ever version number it will be given. I hope it is announced in this thread so I get notification of the new release and reenable the PPA. :)
christopherwere
Registered Member
I've had the same problem as zerofossilfuel. I've been using Kdenlive for 5 years now and in that time I've not seen very many features added but lots and lots of bugs. Kdenlive's the closest thing to a professional grade video editor on Linux but man is it frustrating to use. Each update seems to bring with it new problems.
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
mutlithread was recalled post 0.9.10 in git, you can get it via PPA, daily builds or manual build (process to compile can be found on website).
we could re-release a KDE4 version but who would package it? Distros with recent packages will switch to KF5 this year...
redu
Registered Member
Kdenlive 0.9.10 do support multithreading. No problem there at all..!

• frei0r = 1.4.0+git20140826.72e51041
  • Kdenlive = 0.9.10
  • mlt = 0.9.3+git20141005.22abed67
  • libvidstab=2:0.98b

but the "encoder threads" counter in the render window does nothing really. it's just... how to say; a hidden functionality. I just did 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 core renderings yesterday where the performance maxed at 4 cores cutting down like the 2/3rd of the render time. Actually this is an FFMPEG functionality and has got nothing to do with Kdenlive. Some codecs like libx264 are multithreaded codecs and you may utilize them so if you like to. This is achieved by declaring a new render profile in Kdenlive through custom render profiles .

In order to enable multithreaded rendering you have to declare your custom render profile and in the properties window insert real_time=-n along with other encoder parameters (where n is the number of cores you would like to use) Negative figures denote non drop frame and positives denote drop frame.

You can go check usr/share/mlt/presets/consumer/avformat or usr/share/mlt-6/presets/consumer/avformat to see example profiles and their properties. Just copy one of them an paste into your custom render profile properties window. Then add in one line real_time=-4.

Lets burn some CPUs today...
Have a nice day..!
BBmine
Registered Member
OS
kdenlive seems to only be using 1 core for me as well. I set the rendering setting to 8 threads (quad core hyperthreading), but it only uses one core. Here are the specs:
[*]Debian 9
[*]Intel i7-7700 (8) @ 4.200GHz
[*]AMD Radeon RX 460
stevej
Registered Member
Try the script from unfa. It worked really well for me.

Check out this thread. His post is on Dec 14
Re: Kdenlive doesn't max the CPU?
https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=265&t=122140&start=15