This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

preview not working correctly for Kdenlive or openshot in 12.04 LTS

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
tomg327
Registered Member
HI All,
I have a odd one. I am completly new to Kdenlive, so bare with me. I am trying to edit a clip into many pieces to cut out the useful bits, and string them together.
My problem is that when I preview the project the slider does not do anything. IE playback will be of the entire clip in question, not of the project. When the clip reaches the end, preview only shows the end still, no playback for project all. Although the slider moves along the timeline, as if it was playing, nothing happens in preview.

BEFORE you say "your in clip monitor" Im not, I'm in project monitor. I hid clip monitor just to be sure.

Interestingly, the same problem was happening in openshot when I tried it last night. I am thinking there must be some box ticked somehere in ubuntu that is effecting the way the playback/preview functions. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tom
yellow_drupal
Registered Member
What version of kdenlive and MLT are you using? Are they from the Ubuntu 12.04LTS repos?

If you open a terminal, navigate to your home kdenlive folder or wherever you've saved your project and type melt myproject.kdenlive does the project play? Or what is the error message? Of coarse change the 'myproject' to the name of your project. :-)
tomg327
Registered Member
Hi Yellow

Thanks for getting back to me. The versions of both Kdenlive and MLT are from repositories.
I went to the~/kdenlive$ file and tried to run melt myfilename.kdenlive. But it says it is unable to find the file. I can see it in GUI.
Sorry. I am not a linux geek (blessings and honors be upon them). So I am not very good at navigating comm lines.

Tom
tomg327
Registered Member
Correction.
I did it again with the correct file name (this time) and it is playing the video clip from the begining.
I will try and edit it in kdenlive and see if that helped.
Thanks TOm
tomg327
Registered Member
No,
It is still not working. IE, the preview takes no notice of the position of the slider, it only plays the clip from begining to end, then stops. At that point nothing plays, the slider moves as if it is playing, but only the end still is displayed.
tomg327
Registered Member
HHHHhhhmmmmmmm
The plot thickens.
It seems NO video editor programs' slider/playback feature works in linux or win 7 either!
Now I am stumped.
Any ideas why it does not work in either OS?
Tom
BTW I am running a fujitsu laptop i3 x64, 6 GB RAM, linux running in win7 as program
yellow_drupal
Registered Member
hi, what format and codec are the videos you're using? Do the clips play in the clip monitor?
yellow_drupal
Registered Member
Try kdenlives proxy feature, start a new 720P project, choose to use proxies, load your videos in, once proxies are created with a P in a yellow box against them try dragging onto the time line and playing. Also try playing them in the clip monitor.
tomg327
Registered Member
HI Yellow,
The format is .avi the codec? (720p)? Not sure on this one. The videos will play fine in any platform, just not when I am editing it in a editing program.
Tom
OH...
I see I misread your post. Yes it will play fine in the clip monitior, in the sense that if you hit play, it will play to the end. But if you try to go to a differnt part of the clip using the slider, it wont do it.
tomg327
Registered Member
SUCCESSS!!!

The proxy idea worked the charm!!

Thanks Yellow... Your my favorite color now!
(or "colour" I should say since I am in the UK)

Tom
tomg327
Registered Member
SUCCESSS!!!

The proxy idea worked the charm!!

Thanks Yellow... Your my favorite color now!
(or "colour" I should say since I am in the UK)

Tom
yellow_drupal
Registered Member
Yeah, good news. :-) The playback performance is something specific to MLT the underlying media framework for both Kdenlive & Openshot, hardware acceleration for playback is not used currently for technical reasons, so although hardware accelerated media players will seem to play video sources back 'realtime' kdenlive via MLT doesn't, at least not for HD sources that is. Proxies are necessary, even then adding effects on top can cause slow down, so you may need to look into a different proxy profile if that happens. But the 'real' files will be used at render time unless the 'Use Proxies' tick box is specifically chosen in the render dialogue.