This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Create profile from video

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
edwardl
Registered Member

Create profile from video

Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:22 pm
Hi.
Been looking around at Kdenlive and I like what I see. Just a few things I'd like improved on, but I know you are doing your best at adding new features and improving this nice program.
I notice that when I add a video it sometimes asks me if I wish to change my profile to match the video, and sometimes it says there are no profiles that match the video. I would like a feature that when I add a video that lacks a profile that it gives me the option if I would like to automatically create a profile based on the video I just added (just need to give it a name). It would be much easier than having to go back and forth between the Clip Properties and the Profile Manager and typing in all the details manually. Hope you can implement such a thing. :)

/Edward
capslock
Registered Member
OS

Re: Create profile from video

Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:25 am
Hmmm... On the one hand it could be nice to create profiles from source. But on the other hand, when you decide to create a 720p25 movie, you choose the 720p25 profile. When adding a 480p24 clip the program warns about the differing formats, but still I guess you want to create a 720p25 movie and not 480p24. So you should ignore the warning and not switch to another profile - the source clip will be converted.
ttguy
OS

Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:00 am
edwardl wrote:Hi.
I would like a feature that when I add a video that lacks a profile that it gives me the option if I would like to automatically create a profile based on the video I just added (just need to give it a name).

This is a nice idea. You should submit it as a feature request at the mantis bug tracker

www.kdenlive.org/mantis/
TheDiveO
Registered Member
OS

Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:39 am
I've to admit that I don't like the idea. The simple reason is that there are a huge number of cameras out there that produce video footage in only nearly standard sizes. GoPro HD Hero cams in all its variants come to my mind, but there are also others with similar behavior. These cams output video with resolutions such as 1924x1054 et cetera.

Each time an inexperienced user drags such a clip into its empty project he will immediately jump to the conclusion to create a new non-standard resolution project. There are times where this may actually make sense, but clearly not for an inexperienced user who don't understand the consequences of his doing: problems downstream in players that may come on such non-standard resolutions, et cetera.

So while as I newbie I sometimes missed this feature, as a slightly more experienced user I'm really glad that Kdenlive saved me from falling into this pit. My impression is that kdenlive is very well on purpose designed this way for really good reason.