This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Problem with opening an existing project....

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
normcross
Registered Member
Oh, then it could be a packaging or dependency problem.

The only other software that I think can conflict with Kdenlive is 'OpenShot', I think that uses Melt as well.

In an earlier post you said:-

"I have done any changes on my system."

Does that mean Yes you have updated etc or No?

The only other suggestion is to use the 'buildscript' and build a completely separate copy of Kdenlive and all files in a folder, but not sure how that works with Mint.
alex00
Registered Member
Sorry. I have done no changes on my system.

I moved now on the notebook with a older version of kdenlive (0.8.2.1). I loaded the project, time-line can be seen for a moment with the clips and then again it crashes.
alex00
Registered Member
I Managed to open the project on the notebook. Unfortunately I can not render the project because lame was not installed. Now installed lame, but kdenlive still says that lame is not present. Is there any possibility without restarting kdenlive.
normcross
Registered Member
Did you run the 'Config Wizard' from the settings menu again?
TheDiveO
Registered Member
OS
Did you try to install a stand-alone kdenlive daily release? It comes as a single archive you just need to unpack and start using a shell script it contains.

As for you mentioning that kdenlive corrupts your backups: do you really see corruption of the original project file without saving it? Or is the wording just imprecise and you are referring to the situation that kdenlive doesn't open older versions of your project file? That won't be corruption. Otherwise there is something severly broken in your installation or you may face an underlying hardware issue.

I have seen people with much longer Unix experience than 15 years tripping over their backup strategy. I could throw in 25 years, so what gives...? ;)
alex00
Registered Member
Now I managed to open the project on my notebook and store a new project file. By transferring this project file on my workstation it can be open there. However, the titles in the project are lost - but this is not so important. Now I started the rendering on my notebook (MGEP2, because MPEg4 does not work) and on my workstation (MPEG4). It seems that the story has a good end. nevertheless, this will be the last project I have done under Kdenlive - a too buggy program...sorry for that.
alex00
Registered Member
TheDiveO wrote:
I have seen people with much longer Unix experience than 15 years tripping over their backup strategy. I could throw in 25 years, so what gives...? ;)

It doesn’t matter how many years people have experiences in Linux or Unix or Windows. The way how some people are reacting on an error of somebody or a problem is not the right way. :'(
ttguy
OS
Alex00 - your issue does reveal an issue with your backup strategy. If all your old project backups fail to load then either something else has changed on your system - and with system updates applied who can tell what might have changed - or as dive-o mentioned you have a hardware failure somewhere.
To rule out the hardware failure and rule in a system update being the cause you could - if you had one - restore your OS to a image of a previously functional state. To do this you need a backup strategy for the operating system.
I keep my / root directory on a different partition to my /home. And I take drive images of the / root on a semi-regular basis using clonzila. I have on several occasions restored such an image to undo a change that ubuntu updates made which busted something. It provides a fallback state.
And if you keep your /home on a different partition to / root you can restore the OS independently of the user data.

I also hate how crashy Kdenlive is. But like democracy - kdenlive is the worst video editor on linux - except for all the rest.
normcross
Registered Member
ttguy - I do like the latter part of your last sentence :-) But what about poor old Kdenlive, there's a crash and everyone says "that bloody Kdenlive". No one actually thinks about all the other software Kdenlive uses, MLT, ffmpeg and loads more. They get updated, changed slightly or whatever, and Kdenlive takes the "Hit".

Crashy? I'm not so sure about that. Now it's me trying to think back to the last time it crashed. Two months, three months, can't remember. Mind you, I am nearly brain dead.

Ok, there are still bugs lurking about here and there which you can generally work round as now is not a good time to report them.

At the moment Kdenlive just makes me :-)
ttguy
OS
normcross wrote:Crashy? I'm not so sure about that. Now it's me trying to think back to the last time it crashed. Two months, three months, can't remember.

Funny thing is that for me it goes through cycles of "crashyness". I will go for long periods with it working fine. And then it will be crashy. But it is so intermittent and non-reproducible it is really hard to report a bug on or figure out what is causing it.

Like you say it could be anything in the chain and I just blame kdenlive.

I hate kdenlive (when it is being crashy) and I love it when it is working (which is nearly all the time).