This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to work with GoPro HD Hero 3 Protune footage

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
TheDiveO
Registered Member
OS
For those interested, I've written a series of blog articles about how to work with Protune footage shot with a GoPro HD Hero 3 Black Edition. I'm covering color-grading both above the waterline and below, that is, diving footage. Hopefully, this may help others who don't use Cineform or GoPro Studio but instead Kdenlive.

Link: Post processing Protune video footage
drnn1076
Registered Member
OS
Hey,
great post! It covers topics I've not worked with before, particularly the proxy-clips for 2.7k footage.

I've edited some underwater footage myself. In my my last dive I used the GoPro 3, 1080p 24fps, Protune, WB off and narrow FOV; I think this last feature is only available via the app (android in my case), but not to sure.

I did all the editing and the colour grading in KDENLIVE too. I've used a combination of Gamma, Contrast, Bezier curves, and SOP/SAT, in that order.

This was my first underwater shooting and I got problems having a steady and smooth camera, some times the shots were really jerky and useless. Anyhow, I learned some lessons for the next time and got lots of fun. :)

Here the edited clip. Any comment is greatly welcome.

http://vimeo.com/72035107

TheDiveO
Registered Member
OS
That makes we want to visit Côte D'Or again... and reminds me again to avoid Vimeo: their web site doesn't work on my tablet, while YouTube's does. And the Vimeo Android app is an epic fail, searching barely works, so many other problems, lack of functionality...

It takes some time to get stable footage. I'm using s small plexiglass tray with two handles. The GoPro HD Hero 3 Black then sits in the middle of the tray. I used the self-adhesive mount for mounting the cam. Shooting in wide angle actually is a good cure for my shaky hands. :) I'm always holden the tray in both hands, as this gives more stability.

Another reason is that due to light refraction the wide angle POV doesn't look so wide anymore under water.

Alas, I'm not completely sure but I got the impression that you may have overdone grading, but not much. But I notice a yellow tint, which becomes more visible in air bubbles.

I would assume that you could get away with mainly the curves. For instance, the gamma effect does nothing more than a curve with fixed end points but with a particular slope. Just drag the top right handle more to the left and the bottom left handle upwards. This gives you a gamma curve. However, gamma correction is also kind of contrast effect, that's one of its purposes. Now with the way Protune compresses the red, green, and blue tonal curves I would suggest to start with the Protune uncompression curve and then work from there. Most of the effects you listet do basically the same, so, for me, I would have trouble to correctly fiddle these many effect parameters. That's the reason for me working primarily with the curves.
drnn1076
Registered Member
OS
Stability and wide angle. Yes, I was actually thinking in making one small and light rig for underwater shooting, but that project have to wait to next spring/summer :)
And thanks for the good tip about the wide angle POV under water :)

I haven't noticed the yellow tint, but it is hard to tell because of the different monitors we are using. However I'll check again the curves, you make me doubt...

Curves.
Yes, after I did this grading I've started using more the Bezier curves than the stack of filters I used for this video.

I would suggest to start with the Protune uncompression curve and then work from there

What do you mean with Protune uncompression curve? it refers to the group of filters you use in your tutorial or it is something else?

Thanks for the feedback.

TheDiveO
Registered Member
OS
Yes; for lack of a better name I'm referring to the set of the Bézier curves as the Protune uncompression curves or effect.

Stay tuned for an upcoming new video where I'm showing a grading example of almost completely matching a 1080/narrow shot in Protune to one of the same situation without Protune. When working on it I noticed that GoPro seems to especally boost red hue, so it's not simply boosting the red channel. Oh boy, they play dirty grading tricks in their little cam brick, don't they?!