This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kdenlive project dead?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
fransdeboer
Registered Member

Kdenlive project dead?

Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:56 pm
Recent uproar (Phoronix) around the question whether kdenlive is dead or waiting for something or someone.
There have been no recent updates and JBM is not responding to queries.

Is kdenlive going forward or...?

Regards, Frans.
scummos
Global Moderator
OS

Re: Kdenlive project dead?

Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:38 pm
A project only dies if there's something major to do which nobody wants to do. Currently kdenlive is not being actively worked on, but there's no reason for somone who wants to use the software to do anything at this point. Just wait for what will happen and use it as you always did -- I would be really surprised if the project would die.
Everyone around KDE has write access to the official repository, so if there are urgent fixes to do, I'm sure somebody will do them.

Just look at the windows world, lots of applications there have had nobody working on them for years (not a few weeks like in this case) and they are still being used by people.

Phoronox & co have a huge tendency to make things into much more than they actually are.

I'm working on the KDevelop IDE.
beluga
Registered Member
fransdeboer
Registered Member

Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:12 pm
The thing is that nothing was heard from JBM since July which raises the question whether he was still involved or even among us.
It's no problem to use the current version 0.9.6. But since video projects are no small exercises, people want to be reassured that kdenlive is moving ahead and being maintained too. You can't just use one editor and reuse its project files in another editor, there is no common base line defined.

However, since the first report, there was also some news that JBM had in fact reacted to another issue in one of the KDE forums somewhere in September, indicating that at least in September he was among us.

Regards, Frans.
scummos
Global Moderator
OS

Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:02 pm
Well, I think it is quite easy for the KDE community to keep the project functional for quite a while. Whether big improvements are done or not in near future, nobody knows -- but I'd say you can rely on the program staying available for a long time. And that's what matters most, right?

I'm working on the KDevelop IDE.
beluga
Registered Member

Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:53 am
fransdeboer wrote:However, since the first report, there was also some news that JBM had in fact reacted to another issue in one of the KDE forums somewhere in September, indicating that at least in September he was among us.

Here's the message for reference: http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-bugs-dist&m ... 805561&w=2
asilnevs
Registered Member

Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:30 pm
Is it possible that there is someone working on the daily builds all those months because everytime I download the latest version, it is always more in memory size.
ttguy
OS

Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:58 am
Well JBM did rescue kdenlive.org around Thu Aug 08, 2013
TheDiveO
Registered Member
OS

Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:10 pm
ttguy wrote:Well JBM did rescue kdenlive.org around Thu Aug 08, 2013

rescue ... in what sense?
ttguy
OS

Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:42 pm
kdenlive.org was down for weeks. And then it was up. And JBM is the admin on that server. So I am just assuming he brought it back up.

But yes JBM has gone a bit quite for a long time. He did say that moving the forums from kdenlive.org to forum.kde.org was so that he could spend less time administering the web site and more time developing Kdenlive. So lets hope that is what he is doing. :)
leoplaw
Registered Member
OS

Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:45 am
Gingerling posted a suggestion to stimulate development.

viewtopic.php?f=265&t=118639#p297570

Question is, how far did the refactoring get? Is it now easier for other programmers to contribute to project?
leoplaw
Registered Member
OS

Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:27 am
On the mailing list, they say JBM has been contacted, and there is movement.

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/foru ... live-devel

There looks like some hope that Kdenlive development goes on.
MagikMan
Registered Member

Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:46 pm
fransdeboer wrote:The thing is that nothing was heard from JBM since July which raises the question whether he was still involved or even among us.
It's no problem to use the current version 0.9.6. But since video projects are no small exercises, people want to be reassured that kdenlive is moving ahead and being maintained too. You can't just use one editor and reuse its project files in another editor, there is no common base line defined.
<<snip>>

Developers come and go, it is the way of life. What makes a project DEAD is lack of use. If a project deserves to live it will be the users that will keep it alive. I am a windows developer that has very recently jumped to Linux. So who knows what may come in the near future but I plan to use Kdenlive to start a new video series and I hope others users will keep on using this great product. I'm always the optimist.
hvdwolf
Registered Member
OS

Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:13 pm
Hi all,

If you would have checked the git repository (1) where the developments take place, you would have seen action taking place. Especially if you track it via the revisions pages (2).

JBM was last active in July.
Laurent Montel was last active in July as well, but started again on Saturday 7 December.
And that is for the master branch. If you check the other branches, and especially the refactoring branch(3), you see equal activity (and well deserved rest).
Note that they have worked their asses of for 0.9.5, 0.9.6 and also for the refactoring.

Apart from having such a big active group of Kdenlive users, which makes the project very much alive, I do think that development into future versions will start again soon enough.
As said only few lines earlier: I assume they are enjoying a well deserved rest. They spent so much time into this, they must have been completely fed up with it temporarily. That's how it works.
(After 3 months of frantic activity in my own project, I was also fed up with it temporarily and it has been sleeping (not dead) for 6 months. I just started again).

(1): https://projects.kde.org/projects/extra ... repository
(2): https://projects.kde.org/projects/extra ... /revisions
(3): https://projects.kde.org/projects/extra ... /revisions
drnn1076
Registered Member
OS

Thu May 15, 2014 6:50 pm
Kdenlive 0.9.8

http://kdenlive.org/node/9179

http://kdenlive.org/blog/1000879

;D

PS. This thread should be marked as solved :)