This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Turn off Automatic Titles?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
lile001
Registered Member

Turn off Automatic Titles?

Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:38 am
I don't know what this "feature" is called, so my searches for how to turn it off have come to nought. Whenever I drag in a video clip, the software automatically turns the first few seconds of the clip into a still shot. The audio still goes underneath the still "Title" picture. Since I don't know the name of this "feature", my searches for it in this forum or in the help manual haven't turned up anything.

How do I turn this off so that when I import a video clip, it remains complete?
Steve Guilford
Registered Member

Re: Turn off Automatic Titles?

Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:35 am
lile001 wrote:I don't know what this "feature" is called, so my searches for how to turn it off have come to nought. Whenever I drag in a video clip, the software automatically turns the first few seconds of the clip into a still shot. The audio still goes underneath the still "Title" picture. Since I don't know the name of this "feature", my searches for it in this forum or in the help manual haven't turned up anything.

It's a little unclear what you are trying to accomplish. Do you want the program to not create a 'still shot' of the clip?
ttguy
OS

Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:05 pm
You seem to be talking about video thumb nails. You can turn off the display of these from an icon on the bottom toolbar
http://userbase.kde.org/Kdenlive/Manual ... m_Tool_Bar

http://userbase.kde.org/Kdenlive/Manual ... Thumbnails
kardn
Registered Member

Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:24 pm
I think you are mistaking something. The fact that a thumbnail is created does not mean the clip is not "complete". It is just there so you can see which clip is that you have just dragged onto the timeline.
lile001
Registered Member

Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:48 am
Steve Guilford wrote:
lile001 wrote:I don't know what this "feature" is called, so my searches for how to turn it off have come to nought. Whenever I drag in a video clip, the software automatically turns the first few seconds of the clip into a still shot. The audio still goes underneath the still "Title" picture. Since I don't know the name of this "feature", my searches for it in this forum or in the help manual haven't turned up anything.

It's a little unclear what you are trying to accomplish. Do you want the program to not create a 'still shot' of the clip?

Nope, I will try to describe it more completely.

I have a 5 minute video, that starts out with 5 seconds of someone's talking head. I drag that video into KDENLIVE's clip, then drag it into the first line of Video 1. The first 5 seconds of the video become, automatically without me doing anything, a still shot. If I play the video, or render it, my fine video with 5 seconds of a talking head become 5 seconds of a non-moving guy's head with his mouth open, and the audio going underneath. I never saw this behavior in previous versions of KDENLIVE, but now see it in 0.8.2.1. I don't want the program to create this "still shot" (an easy thing to do If I wanted to), I want it to cease creating a still shot. I saw this happen when the source video is an OGV file, did not see the behavior when the source video is an AVI file. The original source OGV file plays correctly raw in a movie player.

Here is a video without the problem: http://youtu.be/5tAAAEhigxU

Here is the same video with the problem: http://youtu.be/4uLR2uzoEdQ

Does that make the problem any clearer? Likely you aren't experiencing this, but if you are, how do I turn it off?
TheDiveO
Registered Member
OS

Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:45 am
Never experienced the situation you describe. However, I've never used ogv files, only H.264 in mp4 containers. Can you upgrade to a recent version of Kdenlive, mlt, frei0r and ffmpge? 0.8.2 is extremely old by now, we are at 0.9.6 and 0.9.7 at the moment.
lile001
Registered Member

Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:27 pm
TheDiveO wrote:Never experienced the situation you describe. However, I've never used ogv files, only H.264 in mp4 containers. Can you upgrade to a recent version of Kdenlive, mlt, frei0r and ffmpge? 0.8.2 is extremely old by now, we are at 0.9.6 and 0.9.7 at the moment.

Darn I installed it last week. I'll try that and letcha know if it helps.
lile001
Registered Member

Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:01 pm
lile001 wrote:
TheDiveO wrote:Never experienced the situation you describe. However, I've never used ogv files, only H.264 in mp4 containers. Can you upgrade to a recent version of Kdenlive, mlt, frei0r and ffmpge? 0.8.2 is extremely old by now, we are at 0.9.6 and 0.9.7 at the moment.

Darn I installed it last week. I'll try that and letcha know if it helps.

Nope, version 0.9.6 still freezes the first few seconds of an OGV video. This is with the software right out of the box, er, package. I am beginning to smell a bug, are you?
Steve Guilford
Registered Member

Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:27 pm
lile001 wrote:Nope, version 0.9.6 still freezes the first few seconds of an OGV video. This is with the software right out of the box, er, package. I am beginning to smell a bug, are you?

Try another type of video. MP4, WebM - do they work correctly?
Try another sample of OGV video. Does it exhibit the same problem?
You may need to provide a short clip that can be used to reproduce the problem.
asilnevs
Registered Member

Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:29 pm
If I'm working with OGV files, I always convert them to another format like mpg or something like that because of all the troubles I had with this format.
You can use Shotcut for converting: http://www.shotcut.org/bin/view/Shotcut/WebHome
Good luck