This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

INVALID Won't render video, won't give error info.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
christopherwere
Registered Member
Version 0.9.6
Using KDE Development Platform 4.11.5

When I try to import any video file created using SimpleScreenRecorder (using both free and non-free codecs) and render said video using Kdenlive (using free and non-free codecs) I get this: http://youtu.be/rG6viCXt5V4
This has only happened since I ditched Linux Mint 15 for the latest Kubuntu. Openshot renders the video files created by SimpleScreenRecorder perfectly. Kdenlive also renders video files from other sources even when the same codecs are used. I find this a very confusing error. Any help would be appreciated.

Not sure what to do here. I wish so much of my time was spent bug fixing :-(
TheDiveO
Registered Member
OS
It seems as if either ffmpeg, mlt, or some codecs aren't properly installed. The 404 repository error you are seeing may be related to it. One thing to check is whether the extra codecs package actually is installed, as Ubuntu's default dependencies mark this important package as optional only.

Rerun the kdenlive welcome check ... it shows what codecs and decoders have been found.

Another quick route to check that there isn't any other problem with your installation is to login to the kdenlive web site, then go to the daily kdenlive version download page. Download a daily tar ball, uncompress it using ark, place it wherever you want into its own directory. Then start the kdenlive script included. This gives you a stand-alone kdenlive with everything included as required. If you still get an invalid then there is something else gone horribly wrong.
christopherwere
Registered Member
Unfortunately no success with any of those options I'm afraid.

The daily build kept crashing on start up.

I think I might try using Linux Mint. They have a much better stock of repos for multimedia tasks.

I'll report back. Thanks for the help so far.

Chris
TheDiveO
Registered Member
OS
FYI, I've running Kdenlive on Kubuntu 13.10 with latest KDE backports and Kdenlive from sunab's svn repo: no problems over here.
christopherwere
Registered Member
TheDiveO wrote:FYI, I've running Kdenlive on Kubuntu 13.10 with latest KDE backports and Kdenlive from sunab's svn repo: no problems over here.

Have you imported a video from SimpleScreenRecorder? Because that's where the problem lies.
ttguy
OS
Check that your video file does not end in a space. Because versions before 0.9.6 had this bug.
"render produces clip with the text "invalid" if a source clip file name ends in a space"
http://kdenlive.org/mantis/view.php?id=3017