This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Frame by frame performance with jog wheel

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
stephans
Registered Member
Hi there,
I am looking for hints on how to improve the responsiveness of frame by frame playback in Kdenlive when using a jog wheel. I have a Shuttlepro v2 which generally works fine but especially when "jogging" backwards it feels laggy and seems to skip more than one frame at a time. Are there any tewaks in Kdenlive (for example regarding frame buffering) that could help with that? Or any codecs I should transcode my video to? In Kino the jog function feels much snappier which I suspect has to do with the fact that it transcodes everything to .dv video format (which is a frame by frame format from what I understand). But as .dv does not support 24p and audio-video-sync is critical for my use case using that is not an option.

Any hints on that are welcome.

Thanks! Stephan
asilnevs
Registered Member
Perhaps you can try working with proxy clips: http://userbase.kde.org/Kdenlive/Manual ... roxy_clips
brianmatherly
Registered Member
I've used proxy clips in the past and I think they work quite well.

Recently I switched to transcoding all my clips to dnxhd. I find that the video quality (during editing) is better and seeking is just a little faster. The tradeoff is that it uses more disk space. But I don't mind that.

To transcode, from the project menu choose transcode and then select an appropriate dnxhd format.
stephans
Registered Member
Hi,
thanks a lot for your replies which led me to the conclusion that this is a question of using the right encoding and not of tuning Kdenlive itself. I finally came up with the solution of transcoding my videos to h264 without keyframes (ffmpeg -g 1) and this enhanced the Jog/frame-by-frame performance to what I wanted. Transcoding to dnxhd worked equally well but it used a lot more disk space than the h264 solution.

Stephan
TheDiveO
Registered Member
OS
stephans, can you please post the full set of parameters of your proxy profile?
stephans
Registered Member
these are my settings:

Code: Select all
-threads 8 -acodec copy -vcodec libx264 -g 1 -crf 20

The important thing here ist the "-g 1" which sets the keyframe interval to 1 meaning that every frame in the video will be a keyframe. As a result frame by frame performance especially when jumping frames backwards will be better.
RichardZ
Registered Member
beeing a total newbie to kdenlive - where do I find the jog wheel? Also, is there a way to do slow-motion play for preview (not as effect..)?
ttguy
OS
A jog wheel can be installed as a seperate bit of hardware (eg Contour ShuttlePro and Contour ShuttleXpress) or you can use the mouse wheel as a job wheel.
I don't think there is slow-mo as a preview option.

Last edited by ttguy on Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: known job wheels that work
RichardZ
Registered Member
ttguy wrote:A jog wheel can be installed as a seperate bit of hardware (eg Contour ShuttlePro and Contour ShuttleXpress) or you can use the mouse wheel as a job wheel.
I don't think there is slow-mo as a preview option.

thanks.. the mouse wheel works fine for me. I was wondering if there is any software jog wheel like the widget that avidemux provides but with the mouse wheel I get finer control so the only thing missing is making it more obvious for beginners.