This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

what exactly does force duration do?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
philipnewell
Registered Member

what exactly does force duration do?

Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:13 am
hello everyone.

so i just rendered five seconds of .png images from synfig studio, @30fps

then I went into KDEnlive clicked on the little import clip button and added all the images into KDEnlive.
I then selected all of them, right clicked and slected "clip properties", in there, there was a thing called "force duration", I thought this was how many seconds it would be running for, so I chose 00:00:00:03, but then under the thumbnail it said that it's duration was 3 frames, not 0.03 seconds.
So then I thought I want it to only go for 1 frame, so after changing the force duration to 00:00:00:01 I then moved all the pictures down into the timeline. But now it said that the animation went for 6 seconds! instead of just 5.
Then I realised that when I was running the KDEnlive config wizard, the first time I used it, I'd set the video standard to "HD 720p 25fps" so I thought that if it was only running at 25fps, then that would explain to why it was running longer than it should.
so I changed it to 30fps, but still no change, even when I changed it to 50fps, there was still no change.

So what, is the "force duration" property actually the amount of time, not the amount of frames, that's why it wasnt being affected by the increase of fps, or what?. I'm confused

thankyou.
philipnewell
Registered Member
oh, ok I just closed KDEnlive, then changed it to 30fps and it worked, now only 5 seconds c:
TheDiveO
Registered Member
OS
On another note, the last two digits :00 aren't seconds but frames. So, 00:00:01 is one frame. In contrast, 00:01:00 is one second. Which may correspond to 25 frames when the project is set to 25 frames per second, and so on.