This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Using single title clip with multiple video clips project

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
miguelcardenas
Registered Member
Hello Friends

I'm relatively new to kdenlive and currently know the basics to edit a video using only the features that I require (effects, transitions and titles). Everything was going fine working with videos in a single track/clip and titles, but if I insert many clips with transitions and want to use a single title clip for the entire project, the video clips that are in contact with the title clip are shown correctly, and the clips that are placed on a track below to overlap for transitions are not shown and only appears the title on black background.

The "solution" I used by now, was to place one copy of the title clip for every video clip on the project, but I want to use a single title clip along the project.

My doubt is if that is possible, or I must use a separate copy of the title clip directly over every video clip?

For example:

VIDEO1 [-------------TITLE_CLIP---------------]
VIDEO2 [---CLIP1---]-------[---CLIP3---]---...
VIDEO3 -----------[---CLIP2---]---------------...

The above set of clips show the title fine on CLIP1 and CLIP3, but CLIP2 area shows just the title on black background and CLIP2 video is not shown... but if I set the clips as shown below, the edited video is fine, but I had to use multiple copies of the title...

VIDEO1 [-----TITLE-----]----------------[-----TITLE-----]
VIDEO2 [-----CLIP1-----][---TITLE----][-----CLIP3-----]---...
VIDEO3 ----------------[-----CLIP2-------]---------------...

Is there some way to fix it or configure the title so I can use it like in the first example?

Thanks for your comments
TheDiveO
Registered Member
OS
I know this may be annoying ... but please read the documentation and search this forum. You are asking a well-known and often answered question. xD

Okay, as I don't want to appear rude here, so a quick explanation (I should ask the forum admins for a pre-canned text block feature). The most important thing to understand is this:

Kdenlive's timeline tracks are NOT layers.

Kdenlive's timeline has no track layer stacking with transparency.

Please repeat after me multiple times... o)

Even as certain clips (such as titles are) contain alpha layer information, Kdenlive doesn't use any alpha information automatically and it doesn't automatically stack clips the way you would expect. Simply spoken, in Kdenlive, you need transitions to arrange clips (or parts of clips) that live on multiple (timeline) tracks into a single output clip. So, in your simple case, you should start with either the Affine or the Composite transition. Both seem to be similar at first sight, but they offer different additional functionality.
  • Affine allows you to scale, move, and rotate the clip onto which you placed this transition before compositing the result to the clip on the next track or the track given.
  • Composite doesn't allow so but instead allows for swipes that control how to fade between the two clips you are combining using this transition.

In your situation you are working with multiple tracks, so getting the transitions set up properly is a bit tricky. But it's also mentioned in the documentation, you know? Anyway, the trick is to add the transition (either affine or composite) to your title clip. Then, set the track the transition is composed with not to automatic but instead to your track Video 3. Usually, it's even better to add a bottom video track that contains just a black clip (for certain special situations) and to always compose your title clip with.

I strongly suggest you to now read the documentation about transitions to get a better understanding of how this works, then play around with Kdenlive to get a grip on it. Don't hesitate to ask for the more involved situations, such as having a channel logo for the whole length of your project, and some title on a sepearte titling background composed over some other clip and using a swipe... xD
TheDiveO
Registered Member
OS
I've finally written up an introduction and drawn up some illustrations on this topic.

Kdenlive's Timeline Illustrated, Part 1