This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kdenlive running out of memory

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
edwardl
Registered Member

Kdenlive running out of memory

Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:26 pm
Hello.
Working on another "massive" project here using many MTS, Matroskas, VOBs, MP3s, OGGs and WAVs. The whole thing may be a few minutes longer than 15 minutes, but this is as far as I'm able to go before the whole computer gets unbearably slow. Harddrive is chugging away and I wasn't sure what was going on. Then I thought of something... How much space do the thumbnails actually take? When I disabled the thumbnails, things seemed to speed up a little. I closed kdenlive, deleted the thumb folder, opened the project again, and things were back to a fast pace. Only problem was that I couldn't quickly find my place among various videos because I couldn't see the audio pattern.

So I was thinking, would it be possible to implement some optimizing techniques? Or possibly extra options like "thumbnail resolutions"? If you can't figure on any good "resolution" options, then what about when right-clicking a clip in the timeline, there are options to Show and Hide, and possibly Clear Audio Thumbnails. That way I can load and unload only the thumbnails I need to see. Those video files that are muted (or very low volume) I don't need to see their audio thumbnails.

I hope this can be implemented quite quickly. My poor Ubuntu 12.04 LTS is dying here.

kdenlive version 0.9.6, should be up to date from the Sunab repository...

/Edward
TheDiveO
Registered Member
OS

Re: Kdenlive running out of memory

Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:41 pm
Oh, sure. The developers will be glad to fulfill your order immediately as they are already awaiting your commands for weeks in sheer pleasure. The bug tracker is the place where you order them to your wishes.

Lately, Kdenlive is officially at 0.9.8.

Oh, and did you notice that proxies and thumbnails can be cleaned from the project settings dialogs ... but surely you know!
gyles19
Registered Member

Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:51 pm
:( Speaking as a brand-new users of Kdenlive myself, I must say seeing this level of snark to a perfectly reasonable question is pretty disheartening. I guess I won't be coming here for any future help myself.

I guess I won't bother asking things like "Why are the youtube-related profiles discussed in this tutorial missing in 0.9.8?" Because I don't need the angst.

Bye. I won't be back.
ttguy
OS

Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:23 am
Just in case gyles19 is lying about not being back here is some discussion on youtube profiles being missing.
viewtopic.php?f=265&t=118554&p=311589&hilit=youtube+profiles#p311586
BTW I agree with you gyles19 that Divo might have been showing some excessive snark. On the other hand Divo does contribute a bucket load of info to people on here so we can cut him some slack.
I imagine what set him of was the attitude that developers will quickly develop some idea he has just come up with.
edwardl
Registered Member

Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:52 am
Ok, sorry for using the word "quickly". Apparently "quickly" is a very taboo word among free open source projects. I should try to remember that there isn't a war going on and so I shouldn't have a "NOW" attitude, although I hate leaving projects on hold. And I assumed that unattended would upgrade kdenlive according to the latest repository when shutting down, but apparently that doesn't seem to work...

Anyways, returning to this project after an upgrade to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and kdenlive 0.9.8, I look into the project settings, I clear the cache and proxies, I turn on the "Proxy" and turn on audio thumbs. After 33 files and 252 MiBs the computer starts to get quite slow. I go into the project settings and clear the cache, but not the proxies because there were none (0 files, 4 KiBs). I wait a little while and the thumbs seem to have dissappeared, but the computer's performance doesn't seem to have increased much. Waited a little while longer to see if it can sort itself out a bit, but doesn't seem likely. I start to think that it may not be an issue with kdenlive but maybe the issue lies with ffmpeg (or some such), because it seems to have halted (or snailing through) "Creating audio thumbnails for VTS_01_5.VOB - 56%". Wonder if it is the same issue with that some VOBs are identified as 28+ hours rather than minutes?

Well, if that is the case then sorry to have wasted your(divos) time.
ttguy
OS

Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:23 pm
Maybe you could not load all 33 clips at once into one project. Might help to edit the project in smaller chunks.
Ranko Kohime
Registered Member
OS

Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:45 pm
Kdenlive, like I would assume most other video editors, uses more RAM as the complexity and quantity of edits increases. I can dump a 3-hour long video into it, and only be using ~250MB, but at the end of editing it all it's using north of 2GB.
Steve Guilford
Registered Member

Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:24 pm
Ranko Kohime wrote:Kdenlive, like I would assume most other video editors, uses more RAM as the complexity and quantity of edits increases. I can dump a 3-hour long video into it, and only be using ~250MB, but at the end of editing it all it's using north of 2GB.

I recently solved a nasty bug involving undo/redo processing of effects that are added to the timeline. It was an invalid memory access error that would cause Kdenlive to crash at some point, of it's choosing, downing the line.

The point is while I was working on this I noticed that Kdenlive, like many C/C++ programs, leaks memory like a sieve. So, I don't think it's so much the complexity or quantity of edits but rather the cumulative effect of working w/ the program for an extended period of time between restarts.

Save early save often...
Ranko Kohime
Registered Member
OS

Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:39 am
Steve Guilford wrote:
Ranko Kohime wrote:Kdenlive, like I would assume most other video editors, uses more RAM as the complexity and quantity of edits increases. I can dump a 3-hour long video into it, and only be using ~250MB, but at the end of editing it all it's using north of 2GB.

I recently solved a nasty bug involving undo/redo processing of effects that are added to the timeline. It was an invalid memory access error that would cause Kdenlive to crash at some point, of it's choosing, downing the line.

The point is while I was working on this I noticed that Kdenlive, like many C/C++ programs, leaks memory like a sieve. So, I don't think it's so much the complexity or quantity of edits but rather the cumulative effect of working w/ the program for an extended period of time between restarts.

Save early save often...

I must not be experiencing the same thing then. I can quit Kdenlive, then open it again, load the project, and it uses only marginally less memory than when I closed it. Usually less than a 10% difference.
edwardl
Registered Member

Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:40 pm
Ok, then I guess it is my "puny" computer... And thanks for the tip on editing in parts. I believe one can load a kdenlive project into the clips and timeline. Heavy editing in parts and then string them together into its own project.
I actually tried something not too long ago, recent update and all. I loaded a videoless MPEG file, an MP4 video, and a 2-audio, 5-channel, 2-subbed, 1080p Matroska video. Put the MPEG and MKV into the timeline, pressed play, and MPEG audio played well, but the indicator didn't move, nor the images. A little later the audio was getting a little choppy, and finally was-was-was-was lag-lag-lag-lagging. Also, like one second after pressing play, it all becomes unresponsive. Only way out is to pull the plug. So I guess it comes down to buying a computer with 8 GB ram and 4 cores.

Anyways, I do hope the memory leak gets sorted. Though I should remember to make bite-sized projects.

/Edward
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:36 pm
No, you don't need crazy hardware to edit videos.
The memory problem appeared in a transition between FFmpeg/LibAV & MLT, and has been solved since then.

Beware of including projects in projects : if you use proxy clips (recommended for low power hardware) then the low quality sources would get used when rendering the main project! So once your subproject is finished you must disable proxies... (changing this annoying behavior is in mind, but it would change a bit the file format, so thinking twice before acting)
Ubu the Tech Guru
Registered Member
OS

Re:

Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:38 pm
vpinon wrote:No, you don't need crazy hardware to edit videos.
The memory problem appeared in a transition between FFmpeg/LibAV & MLT, and has been solved since then.

Beware of including projects in projects : if you use proxy clips (recommended for low power hardware) then the low quality sources would get used when rendering the main project! So once your subproject is finished you must disable proxies... (changing this annoying behavior is in mind, but it would change a bit the file format, so thinking twice before acting)

am i reading this correctly? are you saying that if i use proxies during editing then when i want to render the final project i need to disable proxies? i thought the proxies were just a place holder for the real source? you make it sound like the rendering would use the proxy clips in the final prduced video

400+ Videos on YouTubehttp://www.youtube.com/ubuntuaddicted
Support me directly on Patreon http://www.patreon.com/ubuntuaddicted
Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/ubuntuaddicted
ttguy
OS

Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:04 pm
No. He is only saying that you need to disable proxies if you load up a kdenlive project inside another project. You can load kdenlive projects as clips into a container project. And if the source project has proxies enabled your container project will end up using the proxy files in the final render.
This is an unusual situation and you need not worry about it if you are not loading projects as clips.